How many BTUs on our boiler?

Sponsored Links
a cold cylinder takes quite a lot of heat from the boiler to get that 100litres hot, so for 20 minutes or so the radiators will go cold(er)

a combi will put its heat into the hot tapwater while you are running the hot taps. hopefully this will be for a shortish period and the house will not have time to get cold.

Sponsored Links
Most three bed semis with reasonable insulation still dont have a heat output more than 11-12 kW.

Add the 2 kW for hot water heating and a 15Ri becomes adequate !!!

A 24 Ri will be far more than needed.

Over sizing the boiler reduces the efficiency.

Its amazing to me that so many heating installers continually over size boilers.

Tony

Who said anything about a semi? It is a detached with a double garage and each bedroom is a double bedroom as per above and it has a study and en-suite and utility so bit more to heat than a standard 3 bed semi. If we're about to add a bigger Rad I'm glad the boiler is perhaps a bit higher spec than needs to be. Would you rather it was undersized or exactly right sized so any additions mean fitting a new boiler?

In that case an 18 kW is likely to be totally adequate subject to a calculation of the total heat losses.

The full heat output is only required when its cold outside with -1°C !!! ( If you live in Norfolk then its -2° C )

when did you ever see cold weather outside?

Tonight in London its 11.1° C outside and a too hot 23.4 inside.

Tony

Turn your room stat down then tony. You find they are great bits of kit for keeping the house at asteady temp ;)

Turn your room stat down then tony. You find they are great bits of kit for keeping the house at asteady temp ;)

Unfortunately the room stat responds more to the outside temperature than the inside!!!

Its fitted in a mostly unheated corridor !

Whatever I do with it it, others like to fiddle.

Like many I seem to be stuck with this situation that I fit all the energy efficient bits for others but have an old Ideal Classic and no proper weather compensation at home !

Tony

as a (very) rough guide, a living room rad is usually 2-2.5kw, a bathroom about 1.5-1.8 kw, with the bedrooms somewhere in between, so it can be fairly easy to work out what you have, a 28kw boiler will therefore run 12 "living room" rads without any hassle, I DID SAY IT WAS A ROUGH GUIDE!!
to get from kw to BTU multiply by 3412, as posted generally fitting one extra rad isn't a problem the kw output of the boiler is to give adequate hot water flow and never usually over spec'd for heating.

Not where I am it's not.Typically 3.5KW for the lounge rad and up to 5KW + on some houses.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back