How many halogens per switch?

Do you think my factory installation using high bay fittings is bad design? A single high bay fitting is not designed to light an entire factory.

Sponsored Links
If you think the comparison is valid, pray explain why the installation doesn't consist of a few thousand 2" diameter lights?

Big room = big lights
Small room = small lights
No.

Room = lights designed to light the room, in a quantity related to the size of the room.

Room ≠ a much larger quantity than that because the lights chosen are ones designed to not light the room.

Yes, but you probably can't help it.

Sponsored Links
They're not in a much larger quantity. They're just smaller and closer together because the room is smaller.

We also use PL downlighters or recessed mods in an office. Medium sized lights in a medium sized room.

They're all exactly the same lighting scheme.

Can you explain why these installations all use lots of individual fittings to give an even spread of light rather than one big bright fitting in the middle of the room?

I thought about, and then decided not to, challenge you when you derisively suggested candles as an alternative in an earlier post.

Like anyone would use wax candles to light a room up these days :rolleyes:, you missed the point of my joke.

The wattage is irrelevant

If that is so, then you would be happy with 1W of LED light distributed over the whole room?

The wattage is NOT irrelevant, you want the wattage to be as low as possible while still sufficiently lighting the room up.

Also BAS how many lumens would you expect to be needed to light up a room 33.5 meters squared.

BAS can you also give me an example of "a light what is designed to light up a room" suitable for a room the size of my kitchen.

Getting back to the original question.

How many halogens on a switch

Some halogen lamps have a very low impedance when cold ( compared to an equivalent wattage non halogen lamp ) and thus take higher currents until the filament reaches operating temperature.

A six amp switch will ( should ) have a long life span switching 1440 watts of lighting (6 x 240 = 1440 ) but may not last so long when switching 1440 watts of halogen lamps.

They're not in a much larger quantity. They're just smaller and closer together because the room is smaller.
They are in a larger quantity.

Please read it again.

Room = lights designed to light the room, in a quantity related to the size of the room.

Room ≠ a much larger quantity than that because the lights chosen are ones designed to not light the room.
So if you need X lights designed to light up rooms, and then you decide to use lights designed to not light them up, and therefore have to use Y of them, where Y>>X you have a much larger quantity and that's the offence.

We also use PL downlighters or recessed mods in an office. Medium sized lights in a medium sized room.

Can you explain why these installations all use lots of individual fittings to give an even spread of light rather than one big bright fitting in the middle of the room?
Because one big bright fitting in the middle of the room wouldn't work very well.

So you use lights designed to light up rooms in a quantity related to the size of the room. Why, in these medium sized rooms, don't you use hundreds of recessed 2" diameter ones?

I thought about, and then decided not to, challenge you when you derisively suggested candles as an alternative in an earlier post.

Like anyone would use wax candles to light a room up these days :rolleyes:, you missed the point of my joke.
No, I didn't.

But you then repeated the same sort of assertion. I don't think you have ever been in a proper lighting shop, or looked online at proper lighting suppliers - you appear to have no idea that there are choices apart from traditional GLS pendants, fluorescent tubes, and 2" downlighters.

The wattage is NOT irrelevant, you want the wattage to be as low as possible while still sufficiently lighting the room up.
The wattage is irrelevant.

The offence is using lights for something they are designed to not do.

Also BAS how many lumens would you expect to be needed to light up a room 33.5 meters squared.
Don't know.

BAS can you also give me an example of "a light what is designed to light up a room" suitable for a room the size of my kitchen.
Only if you can show me where I have suggested the use of a light.

They are in a larger quantity.

Please read it again.

So if you need X lights designed to light up rooms, and then you decide to use lights designed to not light them up, and therefore have to use Y of them, where Y>>X you have a much larger quantity and that's the offence.

They are no larger in quantity that the factory scheme. They are just smaller and closer together.

Because one big bright fitting in the middle of the room wouldn't work very well.

Why is it ok for offices to have multiple smaller lights spread evenly across the room instead of one or two huge lights, but not for domestic homes?

So you use lights designed to light up rooms in a quantity related to the size of the room. Why, in these medium sized rooms, don't you use hundreds of recessed 2" diameter ones?

Because they're medium sized rooms, so you use medium sized lights.

Large room = large lights
Medium room = medium lights

BAS you keep saying wattage is irrelevant, but can you justify why the wattage is irrelevant.

IMO while the wattage is not the primary concern and lumens and light distribution is, wattage is far from irrelevant due to if the wattage is to high for a given light output it will cost to much to run and not be economical, equally if the wattage is to low you won't be able to get enough lumns to light the room up properly.

As I said you want a light source/s that lights up the room to the required brightness whilst consuming the least amount of energy.

Only if you can show me where I have suggested the use of a light.

You get what I mean; ok then show me "lights what are designed to light up a room".

On a side note; would you use 2D lamps over spot lights to light up a room like my kitchen by any chance as well BAS?

They are no larger in quantity that the factory scheme. They are just smaller and closer together.
The ones in the factory are designed to light up rooms. 2" recessed downlighters are designed to not do that.

Why is it ok for offices to have multiple smaller lights spread evenly across the room instead of one or two huge lights, but not for domestic homes?
It's fine for both to have them as long as what they have are lights designed to light up rooms. 2" recessed downlighters are designed to not do that.

Large room = large lights
Medium room = medium lights
No.

Room = lights designed to light up rooms.

Small room ≠ lights designed to not light up rooms.

BAS you keep saying wattage is irrelevant, but can you justify why the wattage is irrelevant.
Because it is not the consumption of 2" recessed torches that's the problem. It is the offence of using them to light rooms when they are designed to not do that.

As I said you want a light source/s that lights up the room to the required brightness whilst consuming the least amount of energy.
But it must be a light source designed to light up rooms, not one designed to not do that.

You get what I mean; ok then show me "lights what are designed to light up a room".
Lots here.

On a side note; would you use 2D lamps over spot lights to light up a room like my kitchen by any chance as well BAS?
It's OK - we all understand that you are clueless and ignorant of what lights are available, there is no need for you to keep demonstrating it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back