How many halogens per switch?

Sponsored Links
It's OK - we all understand that you are clueless and ignorant of what lights are available, there is no need for you to keep demonstrating it.

If that is directed at RF, then I think you have taken leave of your senses.

It is quite clear from pictures of RF's lighting work posted down the years that your statement is utter guff.

It's OK - we all understand that you are clueless and ignorant of what lights are available, there is no need for you to keep demonstrating it.

In case it is aimed at me - I am NOT a lighting expert in case you think so BAS. I was merely saying that I am happy with the LED down lights in my kitchen and wanted to know how you would approach a room like my kitchen if you were designing it and in charge of the lighting.

Also there has to be a reason why down lights are used so much to light up rooms in a general sense.

If that is directed at RF, then I think you have taken leave of your senses.

It is quite clear from pictures of RF's lighting work posted down the years that your statement is utter guff.
.... On a side note; would you use 2D lamps over spot lights to light up a room like my kitchen by any chance as well BAS?
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
In case it is aimed at me - I am NOT a lighting expert in case you think so BAS.
Indeed not. So far you've indicated that all you know about, all you have ever encountered, all you think that is available for you to choose from are:

Candles
GLS pendants
Fluorescent strips
2D fluorescents
2" diameter downlighters.

I .. wanted to know how you would approach a room like my kitchen if you were designing it and in charge of the lighting.
Today? I'd probably give serious consideration to large LED panels in the ceiling.

Also there has to be a reason why down lights are used so much to light up rooms in a general sense.
Ignorance, and a complete lack of any sense of what is right.

Indeed not. So far you've indicated that all you know about, all you have ever encountered, all you think that is available for you to choose from are:

Candles
GLS pendants
Fluorescent strips
2D fluorescents
2" diameter downlighters.

I know quite a few types of lights and sockets!

1) BC/ES/SBC/SES/G9 Incandesents

2) BC/ES/SBC/SES/G9 CFL'S

3) BC/ES/SBC/SES/G9 LED's

4) Low pressure sodium

5) High Pressure sodium (High bays, Low bays, flood lights, bulk heads, etc...)

6) mercury vapor (High bays, Low bays, flood lights, bulk heads, etc...)

7) metal halide (High bays, Low bays, flood lights, bulk heads, etc...)

8) MR16 and GU10 Halogens

9) MR16 and GU10 LED's

10) 2D/DD/PL/PLL fluorescent

11) Circular fluresents

12) Par lamps & Reflector spots

13) Special bulbs (i.e. ELC 24v 250w)

14) AR 111 Halogen's

15) Halogen Capsules

16) Xenon HID lamps

17) lights with non replaceable light sources (Mainly LED type lights like flood lights, LEDlites, LED panels, etc...)

18) Other uncommon lamps like IR and UV lamps.

You get the point; I may not have extensive knowledge but I know more than what I have up till now mentioned.

Today? I'd probably give serious consideration to large LED panels in the ceiling.

Like these?: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LEDlite_Modulars/index.html

Can I remind you that I live in a home and not a commercial office. Also rather pricey and aesthetically ugly for the average home owner.

I think this topic is proof that BAS is so ignorant, stubborn, arrogant that we should stop feeding him so he can keep coming back with the same old "by using lights designed to light up rooms not to not light up rooms" drivel.

BAS. Go away. How many times.

10?
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away

100?

Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go awayGo away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away
Go away

You get the point; I may not have extensive knowledge but I know more than what I have up till now mentioned.
You've given no indication that you have any idea of the variety of luminaires which use any of those lamp types.

You've given every indication that you think there's hardly any alternative to small recessed downlighters, and certainly nothing new since before WW II.

Like these?: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LEDlite_Modulars/index.html[/QUOTE]
Probably not those actual ones - something with a smaller surround and a different aspect ratio, and a mounting method which would allow them to be set into the plasterboard.

Can I remind you that I live in a home and not a commercial office.
Can I remind you that a kitchen is a place of work.

Can I remind you that unobtrusive functional lighting is therefore ideal, and you can't get much more unobtrusive than sections of the ceiling which glow.

Can I remind you that what you want is to use a lighting style commonly found in hotel foyers, offices, conference rooms etc.

Also rather pricey and aesthetically ugly for the average home owner.
If you want to talk aesthetics I'll have to remind you that you think dozens of little torches in your ceilings is attractive.

You've given no indication that you have any idea of the variety of luminaires which use any of those lamp types.

You've given every indication that you think there's hardly any alternative to small recessed downlighters, and certainly nothing new since before WW II.

And do you seriously think I will list all the types of luminares what use all the lamps I listed :?: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

This is a forum, and not an essay on lighting.

Just accept that recessed down lights are not as bad as you wish they were. Do you have any rooms totally lit up my down lights BAS?

If the OP was blindly rushing forwards with a plan that was a danger to life or limb despite being told otherwise, that is one thing. However, even then, they will more than likely forge ahead with their plans regardless, especially if faced with abuse.

But to be harangued because he chooses something not favoured by another forum member is not on.

The OP has got the gist of the strength of feeling against and he feels equally strongly for.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by trying to ram an idea down somebody's throat.

Why bother persisting?

But to be harangued because he chooses something not favoured by another forum member is not on. ... The OP has got the gist of the strength of feeling against and he feels equally strongly for. ... There is absolutely nothing to be gained by trying to ram an idea down somebody's throat. ... Why bother persisting?
Quite so - other than that I think there's probably a chance that DumbBlonde5 (who seems to have given up on the thread about 3 pages back) may be a 'she', rather than a 'he' :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back