How many hours?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the risk of being shot down in flames for almost asking a dreaded 'how much should this cost' type question, let me ask one in a slightly different way.

How long do you believe it should take (in hours) to undertake a complete rewire (not lighting circuits though) and addition of new CU serving 4 rings (down, up, kitchen and garage/workshop). Assume all new cables required. Floors are all suspended floorboards (free access i.e no carpet). All existing sockets to be replaced (approx 15) and addition of 20 new.

The existing CU is under the stairs which is the bit just above the loo n the layout below.

Downstairs layout is roughly:

[code:1]
---wwwwwwww-------wwwwwwwwwww__
| | |
| | Family/Play |
|R | |
| | |
| |______ _R__ _|
| C |C |
/R | R\
|R Lounge | R |
\R | DR R/
| | |
| | |
|______________ __| ________|..........
| Hall | | .
|______________ _ | | .
| | Kitchen | .
| |B | .
|___| | .
|loo| | .
|___|____________| .

R are current rads (the ones in the bays are school type)
w patio doors
B boiler
C fireplace/chimney
... future extension

[/code:1]

Upstairs is same except nothing over the playroom.

If any of the pros on here are in the Herts area and want to quote then let me know (obviously a visit can be arranged!!!)

Sponsored Links
floarboards up and down??

crawl space?

wall type? decor to remain..

Silly little things can really slow a job down..

Ive run 400m of cable for a rewire in 5 evenings in an empty house.. not really doing many chases.. and using an angle grinder for knocking sockets out..

David

dw3101 said:
floarboards up and down??

crawl space?

wall type? decor to remain..

Silly little things can really slow a job down..

Ive run 400m of cable for a rewire in 5 evenings in an empty house.. not really doing many chases.. and using an angle grinder for knocking sockets out..

David

Easiest to quote hours for including lifting and replacing required floorboards.
No real crawl space (I believe)

wall type = bloody hard in places!! 8" solid except in extension. However the decor doesn't matter as this is all going to be redone.

Cirks, the question is very much akin to asking the length of a piece of string. I've rewired an entire house (two beds - three socket rings, two light circuits, cooker, new consumer unit - all tested and certified) in two days with the help of my brother. A similar property (same circuits but three beds) took us the best part of six days. Four man-days or twelve - hell of a difference.

It's a question of access, the amount of chasing/box-sinking required, whether or not the house is empty/furnished/occupied, etc... And the mention of 'future'extension' on your plan adds another potential complication. I really think you need to call in a few firms to quote. I never quote without seeing the job because it's amazing how many people don't realise how many obstacles their particular problem presents.

Sponsored Links
I rewired my three bedroom semi, in 12 days, including all inspection and testing. That included 3 socket rings and 2 lighting circuits, and flooding it with cat5e.

I took my time though and enjoyed it, but I suppose a professional would do it a lot quicker.

supersparks said:
where in herts?
WGC - where are you?
dingbat said:
Cirks, the question is very much akin to asking the length of a piece of string.
So how long IS a piece of string? :LOL:
dingbat said:
It's a question of access, the amount of chasing/box-sinking required, whether or not the house is empty/furnished/occupied, etc...
As we don't eaily have any where to go while the work is being done is bound to cause some problems and is one good reason why I won't attempt to do it (apart from the fact that I'm willing to know my limitations!) as I just wouldn't be able to do it quickly enough

dingbat said:
And the mention of 'future'extension' on your plan adds another potential complication.
what are the key complications that I should keep in mind apart from the ring lengths and CU 'spare' connections etc? The extension would only be single storey.
dingbat said:
I really think you need to call in a few firms to quote. I never quote without seeing the job because it's amazing how many people don't realise how many obstacles their particular problem presents
I've got one quote already and another chap is coming tomorrow whom I've used before. Both are reputable firms. It will be interesting to compare the two quotes as the chap tomorrow is actually going to dig around and see what there is and what can be reused etc and what really needs doing whereas the original quote was pretty much (I think) based on a "count sockets and multiply by quite a bit"!

Thanks for the comments so far.

im HH

maybe a bit far...ill have a chat with somone id reccomend who might cover WGC
tell you tomorrow

a piece of string is twice the length from the middle to the end :LOL:

A piece of string is a 'tad' longer than a smidgeon but shorter than a length or portion, although in some regions the term bit may be substituted for smidgeon, except where working in Imperial measures, where the relationship between the British Standard bit, smidgeon and about-this-long must be rigidly maintained. Of course, you may prefer to use metric quantities such as the soupcon or morceau, which are traditionally measured in feet and millimetres.

I hope that helps to clear things up for you.

dingbat said:

Thanks - that is perfectly clear. Now, how much should I pay for a piece of string?.................oops, Rule 9 broken :LOL:

dingbat said:
A piece of string is a 'tad' longer than a smidgeon but shorter than a length or portion, although in some regions the term bit may be substituted for smidgeon, except where working in Imperial measures, where the relationship between the British Standard bit, smidgeon and about-this-long must be rigidly maintained. Of course, you may prefer to use metric quantities such as the soupcon or morceau, which are traditionally measured in feet and millimetres.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

String is measured using the old unit, the firkin, however supersparks and dw3101 were on the right lines when they recognised that a piece of string is twice as long as half its length. It is because of this property that the firkin is used in quantities of 2 with string.

So a piece of string is...
either 2 firkin long or 2 firkin short.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back