How many mr16s on one switch?

Seems a bit expensive to me, so might be worth shopping around with the part number. Varilite are pretty good IMO.

Sponsored Links
So I thought I would finish this off - for any future readers (or if anyone is still interested!!!).

I did buy the 1000w dimmer - but as I was advised that dimmers see the full load of "conventional" electronic transformers, then my 17 x 60w transformers would have exceed 1000w to the tune of 20w.

So, along with the dimmer I bought 2 varilight transformers, which have been designed to only load dimmers with the bulb wattage they consume - and not with the maximum load of the transformer. So with my 20w bulbs, that gave me a total load of 940w on the dimmer - safely inside the 1000w limit (when you are counting loads at the transformer you don't need to worry about derating - in fact, I understand that's what derating tends to account for; the discrepancy between transformer load an bulb load).

So with the new transformers installed, I plugged in the new dimmer, and hey presto - it all works!!! No 'capacitance' issues, or harmonics. The dimmer buzzes very quietly, but I can happily live with that!!!

Thanks for everyone's help with this...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back