Light switch loads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have double switch currently controlling 2 sets of lights - one switch controls one light and the other controls two lights. I'm replacing these with 3 lots of 4-way spotlight plates which will have 4 50W GU10 bulbs.

What I need to know is do normal light switches have a load rating because, effectively I will be having 400W of light on 1 switch and 200W on the other. I wanted a dimmer version but couldn't find a double 400W dimmer switch.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Ordinary light switches are usually rated at 10Amps. It should be marked on the back (probably moulded into the plastic).

Sponsored Links
The varilite IQ dimmers I linked to are already derated for mains halogen and ELV lighting.

[url=http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Systems/TouchRemote.htm]TLC website[/url] said:
Maximum load must be reduced by 25% for mains voltage halogen & candle bulbs

Thanks guys - I think I'll use a simple 2 gang switch then as I can't find a suitable dimmer.

Didn't RF tell you what you needed to know ? ( there was even a pic, addy and price !)

Maybe grid switches would enable you to do it ???

Yeah I saw that dimmer but I prefer the push type with on/off knob, plus that one was rated at exactly 400W. My understanding was that you need to allow a 25% safety margin, and I haven't yet found a double dimmer over 400W per gang.

Akshay said:
Yeah I saw that dimmer but I prefer the push type with on/off knob, plus that one was rated at exactly 400W. My understanding was that you need to allow a 25% safety margin, and I haven't yet found a double dimmer over 400W per gang.
I think there are technical reasons they dont make them - heat being the primary concern. MK gridswitch dimmers at 400w are 2 modules wide.

As long as you have nice deep boxes (for air circulation) you can have large dimmers adjacent (so says Varilight...). How about 2x 1kW dimmer in a dual box?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back