How many of you smoke....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on/in a customers premises?

If you are a domestic installer and the customer smokes in their own home do you ask if you can or do you just light up with them? Do you go outside by the front/back door or do you sit in your van?

Industrial/commercial installers, do you go off the premises or do you use a 'bustop'? Or do you try to find a quiet corner and hope you don't get caught?

Sponsored Links
When i used to smoke i would never dream of smoking in anyone elses house or premises, regardless of working there or not.

I used to work for a firm that rigidly enforced a no smoking policy in the company vehicles, which i agreed with as it was'nt fair on non smoking employees sharing the same van.

Although some smokers still don't consider other people and just light up where and when ever :rolleyes:

Off site only for me regardless of if they smoke or not. I cant be blamed for any mess or ciggie burns. Trying to give up now though.

Tony

Always outside-preferably off the premises entirely. Unless the house owner invites me to smoke, in which case yes, with the customer, but turn down most invites, coz I can't be blamed for any 'damage' that way.

Sponsored Links
Just thought I should mention, I am a smoker, roll my own, and I will not smoke in anyones home or business premises. I like to think of it as respect for other peoples property and health. If I am out driving a company vehicle I stop at a layby, get out, have a smoke and then put my stub out in a tin I carry with me so I can dispose of it in my own rubbish. Some may say this is going over the top but at least I have a clear consience.

Honestly thought there would be more replies than this though.

Ok..heres another one then...

I wouldnt dream of smoking in a customers house and when I was trading and had people working for I wouldnt let them either.

Equally I wouldnt have a pony in their house either, I think thats worse and very very bad practice...I didnt like people turning up in clothes that were smoothered in paint either, or still buzzin of drink from a friday night session.

It just looks bad and gives people the wrong impression

A pony! l'd be livid if a tradesman brought any animal into my house...

Equally I wouldnt have a pony in their house either

I agree....but its ok if the customer goes out, IMHO :LOL:

I once had the trots and had little choice....not a pretty site (or smell) :eek:

I once had the trots and had little choice....not a pretty site (or smell) :eek:

Yeah..ummm specially first day back from Magaluff :oops:

Years ago when smoking was the thing some folks used to leave an ashtray in room we were working. Never give it a second thought in 60's/ 70's. I remember one job when the foreman said no smoking on this job (a private house) we were all flabbergasted..lol how times change... Though I never smoked in peoples houses when I went 'sole trader'. Happily I stopped smoking july 07 and dont think about them now. I used to spend £40 + p/w and was rich for a time but cant work out where all that dosh has /is going now :confused:

very unwise in my experience. happened to me once only and I dropped a huge donkey which wouldn't flush away . Apart from breaking the flush brush and flooding the bathroom floor it took about 15 minutes to get rid of the monster :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

The customer kept shouting up the stairs `are you alright' ? :LOL:

kablamar - I used to work for a firm that rigidly enforced a no smoking policy in the company vehicles, which i agreed with as it was'nt fair on non smoking employees sharing the same van.

Don't know if people realise but since the smoking ban last year it is against the law to smoke in a company vehicle. Not sure who enforces this or how to be honest - guess its up to the MD or the person in charge of the company vehicles. They also should have a no smoking sign on the dashboard as a legal requirement! Vehicles are classed as part of the workplace!!

Sponsored Links
Back