How many posts for this deck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Sure I should be able to work this out, but keep coming up with a lot of holes to dig.
Sorry for the hand drawn picture but don't have access to fancy drawing programs.
IMG_1458.jpg

The short run top right buts up to, but not attached to, a garage, rest of sides not attached to anything. Bottom run actually goes up to a field, that is lower than my garden, and yes a fairly big tree that in that run as well.
I am planning on making the frame in two halves, doted line shows approx position of this split using 6x2 tantalised timber spaced at 600mm centres, I can get 4.8m lengths. Decking will run top to bottom so joists need to go left to right.
I haven't got enough depth for a bearer to spread the load across joists, so every joist needs a post.
I am know I will need lots of post holes, a post every 1.2m, but someonebut could someone with a bit more experience cast their eye over this and come up with any clever solutions, doubling joists etc or confirm how many and where posts would be best placed.
Thanks Stuart

Sponsored Links
Hi
Probably should have put a bit more detail on that, so another highly detailed, to scale plan
3af16350-c805-484a-a75e-1fd21cc44d32.jpg

how does that look?
black blobs are posts, going to run joists down both sides of posts, and then run joists off these, obviously put some noggins in as well.

Stuart

Last edited:
Building or floors forum would have better advice on structural issues, but 6x2@600 would span well over 2m even for a ground floor loading let alone decking. If you're having 2 every 600mm then you can go even further.
Normal floor construction is joists resting on wall plates directly, but with the right hangers and blocking to stop things twisting you can hang them off each other. But given the amount of extra wood needed I'm not sure it'd be better than 4x2 wall plates and joists. and would use the same depth overall.
Not sure what the posts vs sleeper walls thing is with decking though, with only posts you end up with joists and beams rather than just joists and wall plates.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back