how much clearance needed under door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We are about to order some flooring for our new loft room. There is 2 cm clearance between the French doors and the tongue and groove sub floor. The floor is level near the door.
What is the maximum total thickness of flooring we should go for on top of the T+G including underlay?
Engineered wood seems to start at 14 mm thickness, and adding a 3 mm foam underlay only leaves 3 mm clearance, or a 5 mm underlay leaves 1 mm clearance.

Nice quality laminate at 9 or 10 mm thickness and with a 5 mm foam underlay leaves 5 mm clearance.
My concern is that the loft conversion is new and made mainly from wood. I imagine it could settle over time and if we only leave a 2 or 3 mm gap, in a couple of years, the doors might not open properly.

I've seen some vinyl from Quick Step which they say is totally scratch resistant and that is only 4.5 mm thick and doesn't need underlay on top of T+G. Its very pricey though.

Also there is a hole in the T+G that needs filling. I wondered if I could do this with standard no nonsense decorators filler?
I've attached photos
Thanks in advance for any advice

FrenchDoorClearance.jpg T+GFloor_hole.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ah your builder stikes again. They havent left you much there. You would have had trouble carpeting that. But its done now.
Is the floor well screwed down, solid and level. If so why not glue your engineered/laminate down.

I hadn't thought of gluing it down. Providing the sub floor is level enough, would the only drawback to gluing straight on to chipboard be the lack of sound insulation?

Last edited:
Would make little difference if going down the engineered route as you would only be able to use the thinest underlay.
If your happy with the laminate then thats the way I would go. But to be honest your tolerances are cutting it fine.

Sponsored Links
I placed a stack of 4 vinyl bathroom tiles (total thickness 18mm) under the door and opened it fully. it scraped a little but still opened. so there wasn't a full 2 cm clearance all around the door.
I've ordered a duralay gold silentfloor underlay 4.2 mm thick, and 8mm laminate from quickstep. overall thickness 12.2 mm so about 6 mm clearance. Hopefully that should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back