How much concrete/ingredients do i need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm looking to make a concrete base for a concrete shed (8 x 14ft) so i need to prepare a base of about 9ft x 15 ft.

I have a concrete mixer already and will prepare the base myself.

Does anyone how much ballast and bags of cement i would need and any tips for producing a really flat finish.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you dont need a really flat finish, a tamped surface will be fine. set out some 4 x to the size of base you want and peg it in position. you can then set this level. simply pour the concrete into the framework and tamp it with a piece of wood that reaches across the frame to give you your level.

a base the same size as the shed is fine. in terms of quantities you want roughly a cubic metre of concrete, so roughly 2 bulk bags of ballast and about 12 bags of cement for a 1:6 mix

i thought the rule was to make the base 1/2 inch smaller than the shed, that way the water will run down the sides onto the ground instead of onto the base , if the base is bigger the water could possibly come into the shed and rot the bottom.

the base should have a slight fall. shed bases normally come on battens to raise them off the ground. we always fix dpc to the battens when we install them

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info chaps. I thought the quantities were about that much but its good to hear it from someone that has experience in this field.
Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back