How Much Condensate Should A Combi Produce?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a idea logic 30+ combi that is losing pressure over about a week. I'm not aware of any pipework leaks so as a first step I've decided to put the prv outlet into a sandwich bag, now both our condensate and prv pipes share the same waste pipe away to a small limestone soakaway, as a result to put a bag round the prv I have to put a seperate bag around the condensate pipe.

How much condensate should an average combi produce, I'm just trying to get an idea of how often I'll need to check on the condensate bag and empty it, the prv can stay there for a week or so as in theory it shouldn't be filling the bag of working correctly.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Not uncommon for logic heat exchangers to leak system water which drains via condensate.
Haven't tried it myself but I've heard of people adding a bottle of cheap aftershave to the system water. If the smell transfers to the condense, it can only have passed through the faulty main heat exchanger.
Just re-read your post. You will have to separate the condense and the prv and see which one has the scent.

Pipes are currently in seperate bags so that's not an issue, just don't want to risk leaving the bags for a couple of days and find the condensate bag has leaked all over the garage floor.

The aftershave idea is not bad, sure I've some post xmas ****e someone's bought I could chuck in there.

A large condensing boiler in optimum operation can produce more than 1 litre per hour. In normal use they give a bucket every 3-4 days.

PRV should not be leaking outany water

Sponsored Links
In that case I'll sort out a bucket for under the condensate trap and just leave the prv bagged for a few days

In that case I'll sort out a bucket for under the condensate trap and just leave the prv bagged for a few days
There is no need to put a bucket under that as it leaks water out during normal operation; however, the prv should not give out any water.

The need to put a bucket under it because the prv and condensate both feed into the same 50mm pvc pipe and is carried away, I can't bag the prv with both pipes in the 50mm pipe so I've removed the 50mm pipe meaning the end of the condensate pipe is currently in a small bag that won't be big enough and will then spill on the floor whilst I check the prv pipe over a few days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back