How much for a landlord's gas safety check?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of renting out my house and need some info on gas safety checks.

1 how often do they need doing?
2 how much (approx) do they cost per appliance?
3 do gas appliances need servicing by law, if so, how many times per year and how much would I expect to pay per appliance?

Thanks for your help
Fowler

Sponsored Links
LGSC has to be renewed every 365 days at the latest. There is no law that says that things have to be serviced every year. As a landlord, you must service and maintain anything to do with gas to a safe standard. If the boiler has not been serviced for 5 years, it would be a bit hard to hold up that you have fulfilled your obligations if something went wrong, in which case you could well find yourself in court with unpleasant charges. If nothing goes wrong, people get away with never servicing the equipment until it fails.
It is a bit like drunk driving, as long as you don't have an accident, chances are you get away with it.
Price: anywhere from £30 to £150. You do run the risk of people using a cheap LGSC to get a foot in the door and claim lots of work is needed.

Here in Glasgow £65 + vat is about the going rate for a 'CP12'.
Of course certificates are always supplied to the customer!!

Sponsored Links
We charge £65 in London but many are doing them cheaper!

As a new landlord you need an Electrical Certificate as well. They last three years though!

A deposit has to be kept with an approved deposit holder.

If your hours will be in multiple occupation you have to go on a one day course!

Tony

We charge £50 -£60
To cover yourself, you would consider having one done at change of tenancy as there's a requirement that the pipework is "inspected". Odd, but there it is.
My info is that you also need an electrical Periodic Inspection Report at change of tenancy and every 10 years.
You don't have to have a PAT test, though that might be sensible if you're leaving appliances in situ. Some Agents demand them. PAT tests are really designed for office based stuff.

As far as I know, electric certificate is recommended, not compulsory. Judging by the average installation I see, I'd say it is a very good idea to have it done.
Did a job in a flat the other day, the earth was so bad, if a cable had come loose and touched any pipe or metal part, it would not have popped the fuse.
And she had an electric shower. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back