how much do landlord's gas safety checks cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of renting out my house and need some info on gas safety checks.

1 how often do they need doing?
2 how much (approx) do they cost per appliance?
3 do gas appliances need servicing by law, if so, how many times per year and how much would I expect to pay per appliance?

Thanks for your help
Fowler

Sponsored Links
Don't know the prices in your area, but I charge £55 for the first appliance, £30 for the second etc and £10 for a cooker or hob.

It's then £5 for the certificate. All plus VAT.

The certificate has to be renewed every 12 months, but kept for 2 years.

It is good practice to have the appliances serviced at the time of inspection. My prices include a service as well.

Here, I charge £60 for 1 appliance, £10 for every other appliance.

I do a combustion check on Room Sealed (RS) appliances and service any Open Flued (OF) ones.

BUT, if an RS appliance needs a service its carried out with the inspection at no extra charge as are the OF appliance(s).

Im not VAT registered as my turnover is not enough to bother registering with the VAT peeps - hence no VAT is added.

Paul

Sponsored Links
op - you will also need to get a periodical electric certificate (which apparently needs to be redone every time you get new tenants). Indeed, technically you may have to get other things too, including the insulation bit of the Home Inspection report.

For peace of mind, I'd look at joining a resident landlord association (www.rla.org.uk being one such for £75 per annum) who will provide you with all sorts of useful information regarding the nature of you proposed let - including fire regulations if you've a big house and are looking at multiple occupancy.

As Dex has said above though, likewise a cp12 needs to be reissued/done if you have a tennent leave and a new tennent within the same 12 month period.

;)

periodic electrical check is not a requirement. But it is a good idea to have one. If there is a problem and you haven't had it done then the fine can be quite large!!

periodic electrical check is not a requirement. But it is a good idea to have one. If there is a problem and you haven't had it done then the fine can be quite large!!
You are correct - my error. However, if I quote from the rla:
"You must ensure that the electrical installation and all electrical appliances are ‘safe’ with little risk of injury or death to humans, or risk of damage to property. This applies to when the tenancy begins and throughout the life of the tenancy.

This includes all mains voltage household electric goods supplied by the landlord such as cookers, kettles, toasters, electric blankets, washing machines etc. Any equipment supplied should be marked with the appropriate CE symbol.

The best course of action is either to supply new appliances or to get appliances checked by a qualified electrician before the property is let to new tenants. All paperwork regarding the item (i.e. receipts, warranties, certificates of inspection) should be kept for a minimum period of six years.

One way of helping to achieve safety is to undertake a regular formal inspection of the installation and appliances on an annual basis. The Electrical Safety Council advises that best practice is that as a minimum, you should:

•check the condition of wiring, and check for badly fitted plugs, cracks and chips in casings, charring, burn marks or any other obvious fault or damage
•check that the correct type and rating of fuses are installed where these are re-wireable
•ensure all supplied appliances are checked by a competent person at suitable periods and that any unsafe items are removed from the property. Record details of all electrical appliances, including their condition and fuse rating
•ensure that instruction booklets are available at the property for all appliances and that any necessary safety warnings are given to tenants
•avoid purchasing second-hand electrical appliances for rented properties that may not be safe and energy efficient
•maintain records of all checks carried out.
Although there is no statutory requirement to have annual safety checks on electrical installations and appliances as there is with gas, the Institution of Electrical Engineers recommends a formal periodic inspection and test being carried out on the installation at least once every ten years or on a change of tenancy. It may be appropriate that where the risk is found to be greater, for instance where the installation is very old or where damage is regularly found, a more frequent regime will be necessary.

This periodic inspection and testing should only be undertaken by someone competent to do such work. On completion, a Periodic Inspections Report should be issued by the person carrying out the work and this should be retained by you as the landlord."

CP12 is an annual gas safety check on the property, regardless of how many changes of tenants occur in that year.

prices vary round here from £35 :confused: to over an hundred :eek: we charge £65 for up to 3 appliances and add £10 for Winchester, Portsmouth or outlying places.
or £120 if we do Electrics as well in one visit.

I'm thinking of renting out my house and need some info on gas safety checks.

1 how often do they need doing?
2 how much (approx) do they cost per appliance?
3 do gas appliances need servicing by law, if so, how many times per year and how much would I expect to pay per appliance?

Thanks for your help
Fowler

They need doing within 12 months, a gas safety check is a inspection and does not include servicing, Its best practice to have them serviced and cert at the same time. peace of mind if your renting out

ajdgas

If you intend to take a deposit from your tenant at the start of the tenancy, you will have to put it within a third party bond, ie The Deposit Protection Service. www.depositprotection.com

You can be fined for not doing so, something equivalent to 3 months rent. Although has now been challenged in court and is now suspect and perhaps not enforceable.

CP12 is an annual gas safety check on the property, regardless of how many changes of tenants occur in that year.
CP12 - Landlords safety record pad as printed by Corgi - may not mean much any more.

Though a new formal record isn't required at change of tenancy, the landlord IS responsible for checking the gas installation at that juncture. How the hell he's supposed to do that without the knowledge or kit to do it, no idea!!
Some estate agents ask for a new one for a new tenant. You never know what the previous tenant, or his mates, got up to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back