How much for a rewire on a 3 bed bungalow in kent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my relatives is buying a 3 bed detached bungalow in kent, and needs remedial work to the electrics.

My relative has been quoted £1588 inc VAT for the work which seems reasonable to me, but just wanted to know what others on here think how much the work should cost.

See Attached EICR report for details on what needs to be done. I have stripped out any personal and other identifiable information for obvious reasons.

Also note that the report suggests that DB 2 is fed of DB 1, but when I went to have a look at the bungalow with my relative, I am sure that I saw the meter feeding a service block connector what then in turn feeds DB 1 and DB 2.

Regards: Elliott

Attachments

• Eletrical Report - stripped.pdf
    718.1 KB · Views: 803
Sponsored Links
There is no requirement to bring an existing installation up to standard.

That being said, it's worth getting the stuff that needs doing, done now. Before it's decorated etc.

A lot of the things on the list look like quick fixes, and some look like they're not. The shower could be an issue, as could some of the insulation resistance readings

Love his coding on #11, C2 because a shower switch has the cables in the wrong way around? Jog on. If it said it was off when it was on, then MAYBE. But not because the neon stays on all the time.

Is your question, is it just better to rewire now?

The shower could be an issue, as could some of the insulation resistance readings
Particularly one - what's with the 0.01 MΩ N-E IR on lighting circuit 8/S? Unless I'm missing it, that doesn't even seem to get a mention in the 'observations'.

Kind Regards, John

Particularly one - what's with the 0.01 MΩ N-E IR on lighting circuit 8/S? Unless I'm missing it, that doesn't even seem to get a mention in the 'observations'

Point 8 mate

DB 1 circuit 8 has a low insulation resistance between conductors​

Sponsored Links
My relative has been quoted £1588 inc VAT for the work which seems reasonable to me, but just wanted to know what others on here think how much the work should cost.

I guess there is no point in getting other quotes for the work as I guess there is not a lot to save and would only slow down the sale.

It's always worth getting more quotes. What if the others come in much higher and this guy turns out to be a bit of a cowboy?

There's a good few things on the list that really wouldn't concern me all that much. I think it would be a good idea for them to sit down with this list with the electrician and go through what they actually want doing.

He uses reference method 100 for almost all the circuits in the house. I assume this means they all run up into the loft and under the insulation?

If the shower cables could be freed from the insulation, then 6mm could be sufficient and just the MCB would need changing.

Hard to say for certain without seeing it

Love his coding on #11, C2 because a shower switch has the cables in the wrong way around? Jog on. If it said it was off when it was on, then MAYBE. But not because the neon stays on all the time.
Be fair - he has balanced that out with #20.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back