how much for heating in my home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys

I'am looking at getting heating for my 3 bed detached home, its never had heating we have an immersion heater for hot water.

We are torn between LPG and oil is there much of a price difference between the too systems, installation wise?

My wife and I have decided we want a combi boiler and around 9 radiators

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
LPG will be cheaper to install but more expensive to run. How much more expensive depends on whether you're having LPG bottles or a bulk tank - bottles will be frightening in the Winter! You can expect to use two every two to three weeks, and they're often around £65 each delivered. The regs for siting an oil tank are far less onerous than they are for an LPG bulk tank, so oil is often easier in that respect. You can also have an external oil boiler, so it won't take up any room in your house, whereas LPG boilers will need to be mounted internally

I would always recommend a stored HW system so that if the oil or LPG runs out then you can still get HW from an electric immersion heater.

It also gives you the opportunity to add PV solar panels in the future or even now!

Tony

we have got a plumber coming out tomorrow to give us a rough idea of cost.. should I have a seat ready for when he starts seeing zero's? :/

Thats a good idea Tony we had not though of that, we do have an electric shower currently, which we were hoping to keep

Sponsored Links
we have got a plumber coming out tomorrow to give us a rough idea of cost.. should I have a seat ready for when he starts seeing zero's? :/

Thats a good idea Tony we had not though of that, we do have an electric shower currently, which we were hoping to keep

Keep the electric shower, that'll be fine. It's going to be several thousand whichever route you choose

Hiya guys

So my plumber came out to give me an idea, I made an offering of tea & biscuits which I believe is customary?
I asked for a ball park figure he thinks around 6500 for a full oil install with tank external boiler & 9 radiators
and around 3600 for a LPG install. I did ask for a combi :O

He said hes going to sort out a proper quote for me, do these price sound alright... why is oil so much more expensive?

So you've asked him for a combi and he's pricing for a regular boiler and a cylinder? Time to find a different installer...

Oil is more expensive as you need to buy an oil tank, build a base to stand it on, dig a trench to bury the pipe, and of course buy the boiler which will be more expensive than a gas one.

No its a combi hes pricing for, gosh heating is expensive

I'll start by saying I am not a plumber and definately not an expert! But here's my experience

Oil heating, large house 6 beds. and <ouch> a swimming pool. Heating and Hot water costs were around £13,000 a year!!!!

Replaced 2 x water cylinders for Ecocent air source heat pump water heaters, bought direct off esavep. These use the air in the house to heat the water, and run at about 3amps (when heating). House doesn't feel colder, and water is very hot and never runs out

For the pool we installed a 25kw ASHP, again from esavep, and that heats the water throughout the year

We still use oil for heating

My oil bill so far this year is about £1,400 and I still have approx 2,000l to use. Of course my electric bill has increased as the swimming ASHP uses a lot of juice (~30amps), but I am still save about £770 *a month* compared to before

I would finally add that I am just a punter, and am not in the industry, and not affiliated to anyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back