How much for this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iam looking to have the following work done to the heating system but i would like to know roughly how much it would cost and the time it would take.
We have a 2 port honeywell valve that needs replacing with a 3 port honeywell valve so that we can have the heating on without heating the water all the time, we have a timer in the kitchen which needs replacing with a siemens digital timer but i have been told that it would save on cost if it was moved to the airing cupboard next to the tank and the 3 port valve as the new timer needs extra wiring which would have to be taken out side the house if it was to keep its place in the kitchen next to the boiler.
Iam hoping that this will make the house quite a bit warmer as i can shut the water off when i no longer need it to be heated.

Sponsored Links
The thing is ive already bought the timer which has a 7 day program, it was bought last year but we ran out of cash whilst renovating other parts of the house so i dont think i can take it back to wickes.
To be honest iam not to bothered if its in the airing cupboard, could i still use one because i know i need extra wiring becuase of the 3 port valve.

how on earth could anyone even guess.

remove 2 port, fit 3 port. hmmmmmmmmmmm.

another pipe run from somewhere might be in order.

just say what you have, say what you want & the reasons why.

Sponsored Links
We used to charge about £240 for that kind of thing but there can be many complications and the most usual is that depending on boiler model it may well be necessary to run a new cable between cylinder and boiler.

But that price assumes that all the required pipes already terminate at the cylinder.

It sounds as if you have already had someone round ( free ) to advise you and probably to give a quote. Dont forget that free quoting time has to be factored into the price you pay.

I dont usually go round free to quote as thats in reality used as an opportunity to get a free specification drawn up to hawk around for lower prices from the third world plumbers.

Tony

The thing is ive already bought the timer which has a 7 day program, it was bought last year but we ran out of cash whilst renovating other parts of the house so i dont think i can take it back to wickes.
To be honest iam not to bothered if its in the airing cupboard, could i still use one because i know i need extra wiring becuase of the 3 port valve.

you would have to check the spec to see if it is compatable with your two port and just have your 3 port wired and fired

The timer is ok as its the same one my father has thats why i bought it.
Agile i wasnt hawking around matching prices but at the end of the day i dont see whats wrong with that? iam sure that even plumbers shop around when buying things so i cant understand why you disapprove of people doing that :confused: .
Ive had an electrician in recently to connect a fan up in my bathroom and he explained what would most likely have to been done and assured that extra wiring would have to be added but because it would have to be connected to the timer it would increase the price.
The boiler is a mison economist and is about 22/23 years old i think as the previous owners didnt like changing things so i can only presume its as old as the house.

At the moment the 2 port switch shuts off the heating but continues to heat the hot water, if i turn the room thermostat on the heating comes on aswell but i think the thermostat is just acting as and on/off switch.

Iam not sure what you meen by that :confused:
Iam not trying to upset people iam just surprised at the negative comments from some people, ive come on here to ask for help but instead of being treated as someone that has little knowledge of plumbing i feel like iam being frowned upon because i dont know anything about plumbing.

OP.....just get a quote from an engineer. It's pointless asking 'how long is a peice of string!'.

This isn't mega bucks nor rocket science. Between a half day and a day + parts is a GUESS so work it out yourself based on what the engineer charges per day........doh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back