How much height difference is acceptable between the stairs of a staircase?

Yes you can refuse to pay him.

Regardless of whether building regs are required or not, the stairs should be constructed to an acceptable standard. The issue with uneven risers is that they are an inherent trip hazard as we instinctively expect steps to be the same, and these will be bad enough during daylight and just looking at them, but will be worse when its darker, when you are not looking and walking slowly or trying to rush down during a fire or to watch corrie one night.

They are dangerous plain and simple and should not be accepted.
He's not going to like this... I was wondering if there are any insurance products that protect people from instances like this where contractors don't do a proper job or they cause damage to a property that they're work on, does anyone here have information on that?

Sponsored Links
He's not going to like this... I was wondering if there are any insurance products that protect people from instances like this where contractors don't do a proper job or they cause damage to a property that they're work on, does anyone here have information on that?
he is going to be upset, its a new set of stairs.

But he knew when he was making it them it was wrong -he carried on manufacture despite knowing, no responsible tradesmen would do that.

a small variation is understandable on step 1 -usually where the stairs have been measured prior to screeding.

No I don't think you can insure yourself from a poor job, what normally happens is that the contractor has insurance for negligence called Public Liability (PL) Insurance, but that's only for if you injure yourself from his negligent works - like falling down the stairs or something. But no-one can insure themselves from being a crap carpenter, otherwise Lloyds would go bust.

As for him not liking it, tell him if he was not so shiite in the first place he could be a very happy bloke.

Who the hell is still manufacturing staircases in their workshop with thousands of companies doing it for you using super accurate machines???
I put together a few flat packed staircases and thanked god for technology.
Mind you, in all my time I only built a straight 6 step staircase to a walk in cabinet and that took too much time and effort.

Sponsored Links
he is going to be upset, its a new set of stairs.

But he knew when he was making it them it was wrong -he carried on manufacture despite knowing, no responsible tradesmen would do that.

a small variation is understandable on step 1 -usually where the stairs have been measured prior to screeding.
It's a complete joke, they're trying to blame it on me for not having pointed it out to them earlier!

No I don't think you can insure yourself from a poor job, what normally happens is that the contractor has insurance for negligence called Public Liability (PL) Insurance, but that's only for if you injure yourself from his negligent works - like falling down the stairs or something. But no-one can insure themselves from being a crap carpenter, otherwise Lloyds would go bust.

As for him not liking it, tell him if he was not so shiite in the first place he could be a very happy bloke.
haha I have a feeling telling him that is not going to improve my situation very much.

Who the hell is still manufacturing staircases in their workshop with thousands of companies doing it for you using super accurate machines???
I put together a few flat packed staircases and thanked god for technology.
Mind you, in all my time I only built a straight 6 step staircase to a walk in cabinet and that took too much time and effort.
I've watched a couple of videos on youtube to try and understand what they've done wrong with my stairs, and it does appear to be a quite a difficult job, lots of calculations go into it.

I've watched a couple of videos on youtube to try and understand what they've done wrong with my stairs, and it does appear to be a quite a difficult job, lots of calculations go into it.
Exactly.
It's not rocket science, but a machine can surely do a better job than any living carpenter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back