How do I raise height of click vinyl without leveling compound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

(Sorry if answered elsewhere - couldn't find it)

Short version:
Is there some kind of thick underlay which can be used under click vinyl to raise its height to match adjoining tiles?
Needs to allow heat transfer from under floor heating and not be too squishy for the vinyl planks.

Long version:
Large open plan area which will have 10mm tiles on one side and 6mm vinyl on the other.
With the Ditra mat and tile cement for tiles and only 2mm underlay for the vinyl there could be as much as 10mm difference in height.

We don't want to use levelling compound because:
• We have had new screed poured over UFH and don't want to mess it up if we need choose to change the flooring in the future
• The area is large and the vinyl height would need to be uniform over the whole area (i.e. not feathered) as the frame of a bifold along one side would give away any uneveness
• Its a large area so could get expensive.
• I've heard too many horror stories of where it hasn't worked!

Last resort would be an edging strip between tiles and vinyl, but the width is 4.5m so would need 2 strips with a join

Preference is a thicker underlay under the vinyl without too much play in it - even if it just reduced the height difference a bit so there's no trip hazard.

Many thanks in advance for suggestions.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
...could we lay 5mm ply then the 2mm underlay then click vinyl? If so, how best to stick ply down so there's no movement? Would is help or hinder the under floor heating? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back