How much kVA do I need?

s85

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping somebody can help me.

Im converting a 4bedroom flat to 3 x 1bedroom flats.

I am having a new 3 phase supply installed for 3 the flats. UK Power Networks have asked me how much kVA will I be needing in total.

Each flat will have its own gas supply with the heating & hot water supplied from the boiler. The cookers will be all/mostly gas.

I understand the capacity for a 3 phase is about 70kVA, however the DNO has said that there is limited amount of space available on the network and if the full 70kVA is required they may need to pass my application to another department to price and install, which is considerably more expensive.

My question is how much kVA would I actually need for the 3 1 bedrooms flats?

Sponsored Links
... Each flat will have its own gas supply with the heating & hot water supplied from the boiler. The cookers will be all/mostly gas. .... I understand the capacity for a 3 phase is about 70kVA, however the DNO has said that there is limited amount of space available on the network and if the full 70kVA is required they may need to pass my application to another department to price and install, which is considerably more expensive. .... My question is how much kVA would I actually need for the 3 1 bedrooms flats?
I don't think it would be at all unusual for each such flat to have a "60A" supply, which would equate to about 13.8 kVA per flat, hence around 40 kVA total for three.

Kind Regards, John

Your description is about the same equipment as installed in most touring caravans which run on a 16 amp supply. Although unlikely the DNO would give you less than 60 amp. This house has a 60 amp supply, two electric showers, two kitchens, three story, and fuse has never blown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back