United |Utilities Electricity Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spoke to UU today to start the process of getting a new supply installed. They sent me an application form that asks the following question:-

Maximum Power Required - kVA/kW ?

I posted another thread the other day that was asking what the current shared supply might be and it was suggested that for my needs I would probably only need a normal residential supply (100A??)

With this in mind how do I answer the above question??

D

Sponsored Links
the agreed max demand is usually lower than the fuse rating and is not enforce on domestics.

if you make it too low they might give you something smaller than a normal domestic supply, too high and they will charge you for a 3 phase incoming arrangemetn. i'd say arround 15KW should be in the right ballpark for sitting between those extremes but your best bet would be to ask someone who deals with your local supplier on a regular basis (e.g. a local electrican)

Would 25 kW require a 3 phase supply ??

D

23kW@ 230v = 100A - pretty much the limit for single phase.

You'd be better off phoning your DNO and asking them what to put on the form to get a 100A domestic supply installed.

Davy

Sponsored Links
surely if he puts 15kw, they'll fit a 100a SP supply? they're not gonna come along with a big beefy 3p head and a jiggerpick and say "where d'ya want it gov?" for 15kw / 65 amps. :eek:

The forms I get from EDF are itemised for things like showers, cookers etc. I just make sure the total comes to 21kW.

Slightly classier than the Mancunian exchange:

"D'you wanna f*ck?"

"No, but you talked me into it."

Update from UU suggests that they can split the 3 phase supply and give me a single phase and 20kw 100A supply.

Will be much cheaper - any ideas how much it might be??

D

They wouldnt say - the quote will come out eventually just wondered what the ball park was....

There are so many variables that no one could give an answer that would mean anything unless they came to see the job. Sorry it's of no help to you.

Davy

had scottish power at my house today giving me a quote for upgrading supply to a heavier cable . transformer is less than 100m from my house and they wanted £ 2000 approx if i did the trench and £5000 approx if they do whole job .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back