Utility room under unit lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just a quick question really. As part of our kitchen extension that was competed a few weeks ago, a utility room was formed for the washing machine. It's got a light and an extractor fan and isolator for the fan and fused spur for the power.

However, I've just had a thought (during the installation process) that a single under unit light running off the existing switch would look nice under the two kitchen wall cupboards I'm putting up.

Question is, can this easily be done or do I need transformers and fused spurs and the like or can I utilise the existing lighting circuit and switch?

Thanks.

These are the lights I have (just one though)

Sponsored Links
The transformer is pictured in your post with the three lights, so if it the same as pictured it requires a transformers. It is the lamp type that will dictate this, so if lamp states 12V on it then transformer required, if 240V then a transformer will not be required.
For the light to work you will require a live/line and a neutral to be connected to the transformer, with the live/line being run through the switch. If the circuit has not already being adequately down-fused, then this will also be required. The lamp will require no more than 1A of current and most flex and cables can deal with a 5 amp current, you would be best advised reading the manufacturers instructions that came with the fitting for their recommendations.

The transformer is pictured in your post with the three lights, so if it the same as pictured it requires a transformers. It is the lamp type that will dictate this, so if lamp states 12V on it then transformer required, if 240V then a transformer will not be required.
For the light to work you will require a live/line and a neutral to be connected to the transformer, with the live/line being run through the switch. If the circuit has not already being adequately down-fused, then this will also be required. The lamp will require no more than 1A of current and most flex and cables can deal with a 5 amp current, you would be best advised reading the manufacturers instructions that came with the fitting for their recommendations.

It is NOT a transformer. It is a switch mode power supply.

Sponsored Links
Anyway, the usual method is to fit your transformer on top of the wall cupboard where it can't be seen easily.

Usually the leads on each individual light are long enough to reach from under the cupboard to above the cupboard.

Most wall cupboards have a largish void at the back to pass such cables through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back