How much of a slope for paving to drain away water.

Who said anything about it needing to be exact? You don't understand my reasoning. Bloody council is anal. Whatever driveway opening I have for my dropped curb application, they need an extra 0.65 width and 0.65m height to allow for pedestrian visibility which involved my guy having to wreck part of a beautiful stone cladded wall as you can see. Similarily, they said if the degree in slope is greater than 1:10, they will refuse to drop the curb.

I don't give a monkeys if its 1:80 or 1:50. As long as I understood what that meant (which I now do) and I'm within the tolerance levels the council requires, then happy days.

Sponsored Links
Correct. We installed two modern crate soakaways 5m away from the house under the chalky soil to carry the drain water away rather than connecting it to the sewer system. In those circumstances permeable paving is not required.

It is 5 metres long. You want water to run off it. A slope of 1:80 means a fall of 62.5mm over the length will do that.

A bit more won't hurt, and will encourage the water to run off more quickly, or if the surface is a bit irregular. Faster running will also encourage dirt to run away.

500mm is absurd, unless you have to do it because you are on a hill or something.

The reason they said a 650mm clearance is because they have converted it from two foot and rounded up.

Sponsored Links
Bloody council is anal. Similarily, they said if the degree in slope is greater than 1:10, they will refuse to drop the curb.
Completely different story from your first posts coming out now..
Regards vision splays, what is more important to you, knocking down part of your wall, or knocking down a small child when you exit your drive Think about it.
Regards 1 in 10 fall completely agree with council not wanting a waterfall running across public foot path. Would suggest you let your builder get on with it, or do it yourself and not waste peoples time
Regards oldun

Wasting people's time? I'm explaining a situation and I wanted to understand something about paving which is not in my field. The link to the document was in reference to JohnD's post about the 650mm wall.

What's your problem exactly? Who asked you to reply if you feel you're wasting your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back