How much of a slope for paving to drain away water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When constructing a patio or block drive way, how much of a slope or degree of decline does there need to be for water to drain away. If I plan to do a DIY job in the garden to save on cost of labour, just wondering how to go about doing this?

Sponsored Links
Hi

What does that actually mean from a layman perspective?

For my front drive way, the council has indicated a drop of no more than 1:10

Thx.

it means (just under) one inch of drop in a six-foot run.

It is easy to mark out, you just put a block under one end of your spirit level, or length of timber if the spirit level is too short.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but is there a more precise calculation or measurement technique?

I like to understand things properly. Like math in school days, better to know the methodology to get to the answer.

If I have x area square paving, need to know the drop at certain distances.

Thanks, but is there a more precise calculation or measurement technique?

Nosey is right when he states a 1 in 80 min fall for a drive, but it can be stretched to 1 in 100 if workmanship is good, plus your fall depends on existing ground levels
A 1 in 10 fall is much to steep for a drive way unless of course existing ground levels dictate
Suggest you ignore the other posts as they are very misleadng
A 1 in 10. Divide 10 in to 1 = .100 therefore fall is .100mm in 1metre
A 1 in 40 Divide 40 into 1 = .025 therefore fall is 25mm in 1 metre
A 1 in 80 fall ditto .0125 say 12mm in 1 metre
Easy ain't it
Regards oldun

Hi

So for a 5m drive way, that would mean that the council will allow no more than a 50cm drop. So the photo I took in the attached link should be fine then (Type 1 MOT stage) before the block paving goes down?

//www.diynot.com/network/ey143/albums/21651/80936

[/img ]//www.diynot.com/network/ey143/albums/21651/80936[/img]

No, not at all. I'm just new at all of this and want to make sure the guys I have used have done it correctly because its not as if I can get out a ruler and measure their work / degree of drop to ensure they have complied.

No, not at all. I'm just new at all of this and want to make sure the guys I have used have done it correctly because its not as if I can get out a ruler and measure their work / degree of drop to ensure they have complied.
FFS! What are you building a space craft?

Building work is not precise and nor do people involved in building work expect exact minute precision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back