How much to prune off tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Wonder if you can give me a bit of general advice. I'm looking to lop quite a bit off a tree (approx 20 years old) as it's been allowed to grow quite tall and is quite close to the house (around 3 metres). It's started to interfere with the (limited lol) view that we have from the bedroom window. I'm looking to cut away everything above the red line.

Would rather not remove the tree altogether if I can.

tree2.jpg

Would this be possible or would it end up damaging the tree in some way?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the bad news but birch don't really enjoy being topped like that and to be honest it destroys the shape of the tree so that it will forever look odd.

You either need to prune them early and develop a multi-stemmed style or leave them to grow as a single leader, in my opinion all other shapes look really bad for silver birch.

It may be better to remove it and replace with something more suitable.

Well, an expert I spoke to claimed there's only so much you can trim off the "crown" (much less than I want to cut) and seemed to be suggesting that it would cause it some sort of harm to the tree itself .

I appreciate cutting it at the point I've marked won't look perfect, but it will look a lot better than some of the butchered trees around the local area, which consist of just stumps with leaves sprouting out lol.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the bad news but birch don't really enjoy being topped like that and to be honest it destroys the shape of the tree so that it will forever look odd.

You either need to prune them early and develop a multi-stemmed style or leave them to grow as a single leader, in my opinion all other shapes look really bad for silver birch.

It may be better to remove it and replace with something more suitable.

We've lived in the house for 11 years, but as tennants, and the Housing Association employ their own landscaping team and don't like people messing with the trees. When we bought the house 2 years ago and the land at the front, the tree became ours, but in that time it's shot up considerably.

I'd be really loathe to cut it down altogether. How much would you think could be taken away without it being any way detrimental to the tree or the look of the tree?

Well it's not going to die if you take as much as you want off it, so as long as you're allowed to cut it back,what's stopping you?

personally I would cut it off at the base, it's too close to the house, replant something more suitable.

It could die but very unlikely, theory says they are suceptible to major rot if topped as frankly many trees are. In practise i have seen plenty of silver birch that have survived fine but just don't look great.

The prune seal stuff in the link above should help with the potential rot issue though shouldn't it?

I'm loathe to chop the whole tree down (I'm a big tree lover), so I'm hoping so.

I'm confident it wont look completely stupid cutting it there (at least not as bad as some of the butchered trees I've seen around here). It's getting massive, could do with reducing it and keeping it in check.

....just got the neighbours trees to worry about now lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back