How much unevenness is acceptable in ceiling joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a year ago I replaced my garage roof with a new flat roof. As far as I know I used the correct timbers for the 3.6m unsupported span - 45x175mm on 400mm centres with 1 row of noggins. The static load is about 0.25kn per sqm.

I’ve just finished plaster boarding and noticed a pronounced bow in one section. After measuring I discovered one joist is nearly 15mm lower in the centre than the rest. The rest vary by around 5mm. The wall plates they rest on are exactly level and flat and there is no pooling water anywhere on the roof.

Is this amount of variation common? Is it acceptable? Could it have just been caused by wood movement during the preceding year?

Sponsored Links
Wood not straight.
I have always put the natural bow up so to have some sort of arch more difficult to sag.
Don't know if it's something roofers do, but it makes sense to me.
Anyhow, unless you want to start removing joists, live with it, it's a garage.

Live with it.
Or take the plaster board down and get the plane out. :)

Wood not straight.
I have always put the natural bow up so to have some sort of arch more difficult to sag.
Don't know if it's something roofers do, but it makes sense to me.
Anyhow, unless you want to start removing joists, live with it, it's a garage.
exactly the correct way to do it as the other level joist and load will drag it more level

Sponsored Links
exactly the correct way to do it as the other level joist and load will drag it more level

I never thought to do this but it makes a lot of sense, although the top of the roof is perfectly flat with no variation, almost like this one joist is thicker in the middle. Is it common to have slight unevenness on the underside or is it just shoddy workmanship/ subpar timbers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back