How much work is it to split the Living Room up?

Hard to tell in the photo - is the fireplace centrally opposite the window?

One idea, and I am coming from the point of view of somebody who likes a home cinema, would be to remove the fireplace bricks, then make good the wall (rather than attempting to remove the stack that will cost thousands) and put the TV there, with a sofa in the bay, another on the side wall, so you can seat 4 people with view of the TV. Might need blinds for daytime viewing though ...

or, just put the TV in the bay....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why is there a shower in the downstairs cloakroom:unsure:

Easier to wash your coat? :)

Why not though? Makes sense really if there is space to pop a shower in a downstairs WC.

Hard to tell in the photo - is the fireplace centrally opposite the window?

One idea, and I am coming from the point of view of somebody who likes a home cinema, would be to remove the fireplace bricks, then make good the wall (rather than attempting to remove the stack that will cost thousands) and put the TV there, with a sofa in the bay, another on the side wall, so you can seat 4 people with view of the TV. Might need blinds for daytime viewing though ...

or, just put the TV in the bay....

The fire place is in the middle of the room, so the bay window is off to the side, and the other window is on the other side.

I did think about putting a big tv at the far end of the room but it's a 19' room and so far away.

Why is there a shower in the downstairs cloakroom:unsure:

Because there's only one family bathroom upstairs and no room for an ensuite. 4 bedroom house, so good to have more than one shower facility. Here's a pic:

2018-06-28 09_16_26-Rightmove.co.uk.png

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. That 3m width is quite restricting- 2 or 3 people in there will feel like a crowd. Is this house irresistible for other reasons (price is right, suits where you both work, off street parking, good access to public transport, decent local schools, not to horrific on the reported crime stats) or (and I've been guilty of this) you could afford it and you were fed up of traipsing round estate agents.
Hard to tell at the moment but is the conservatory a usable space (ie not red hot in the summer and stone cold in the winter)- if yes then I'd be tempted to remodel the kitchen (there's am awful lot of worktop in there), have the family room in the bit adjoining the conservatory and keep the living room as a dining room/study. Longer term you could move the kitchen to the living room & have the kitchen/dining room as your living room

Here's an idea ... longer term plan maybe ... small extension, insulate side walls of conservatory, use as part of kitchen-diner, then use the front room as posh dining / office space.

idea.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back