Splitting one bedroom into two - doable with this floorplan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'd love to do a loft conversion in my house to get an extra bedroom but don't have the cash at the moment (I've heard that even the most basic conversion with velux windows and no bathroom can cost upwards of £25k).

As a result I'm considering splitting a fairly large master bedroom into two smaller ones (ideally one double and one single) but am not sure whether I have enough space.

The room in question is currently 17'4 long by 10'8 wide and has fitted wardrobes at one end which could be removed. It has two windows. I've attached a floorplan here so you can see.

My initial thought was that I'd have to make the landing bigger to fit a new door in for the third bedroom.

Do you think this is doable or will the rooms just end up being way too small? Is there another way of splitting the room in two without making the landing quite a bit bigger (and therefore losing valuable floor space in the bedroom)?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 428
Sponsored Links
Possibly, although the resulting rooms will be very small - and yes, the landing would need to be extended to get the extra door in, which will reduce the room size even more.

However before all that, can you go and actually measure the rooms, because the measurements on that plan cannot all be correct with the layout shown.

Hi Flame, I've just checked - the bedroom measurements are correct, give or take a few inches. Seems like the other two rooms are slightly off! One thing I should mention is that the right-hand wall of the master bedroom (as you're looking at the floorplan) has a disused fireplace on it and two alcoves either side that are about a foot deep. I'm beginning to think I may need to get saving for that loft conversion after all...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Measure all the rooms accurately and repost a plan.

The bathroom is proportionally too big for a 3-bed layout; so I would reduce the bathroom, adjust the small bedroom and split the master bedroom. See pic (I scaled off the 3.4m in the small bedroom).

A loft conversion would be better.

3bed_b.JPG

Hi Rich, thanks so much for drawing up a plan - really appreciate it! Although some other very similar houses on the street do have three bedrooms, I think having a two metre-wide room (as shown on your diagram) is a bit too small really. I also quite like having a bigger than average bathroom. Looks like I'll have to start saving for that loft conversion after all! Does anyone know what sort of prices I'll be looking at in London for the most basic type (velux windows, one bedroom and no bathroom)? The floor is already fully boarded but I think I read that joists will have to be strengthened if it's to be used as a "proper" room. Cheers!

I would suspect that a loft conversion in London will start at around £40-50k

You will also lose a big chunk off that large bedroom to fit the stairs and landing in for the loft

Hi Woody, really - even for just the most basic version? That is an awful lot of money! The floorplan doesn't really show it accurately but I think there is room for the staircase to twist round again in the landing and go up to the loft, without knocking into the bedroom. So that's something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back