Splitting a double room into two, can this work?

Whats the size of the room you are splitting?
I'm not 100% as floorplan doesn't say surprisingly so at the moment I'm going by floorplan. I did have a builder round. He said the two new room sizes would be 3.1 m by 2.3 m each

Sponsored Links
I would build a short corridor in the "back" bedroom to maximise the space in the split rooms. Depending on the width of the window (for means of escape) you could possibly split the window (a new window with a solid central section to pick up the stud wall) - it doesn't look that pretty but I presume you're on a budget and new openings will be expensive. You may be able to make use of some of the space above the stairs (high level kids bed etc).

rubbish drawing but you get the idea...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
And what will the resulting floor plan look like ?
It would essentially be where the built in wardrobes are have two doorways there, split the room lengthways replace large window with two singles. Of course my only other choice is to convert garage and hope I get two singles out of that but that would mean one bedroom would have a oil boiler in it! I'm utterly gutted. When I bought this house I was so sure I could get two singles rooms out of it! I desperately don't want to move it would be a disaster for my little boy. Please if anyone can think of a way forward I'd be so grateful

rubbish drawing but you get the idea...
Wall down the middle of the window? Or new window in the front wall? (@swoolham have you checked whether you need planning permission to do window work; it's usually not required but..)
it doesn't look that pretty
Amen

---

my only other choice is to convert garage
May be possible to move the bathroom to the front corner next to the garage; it doesn't need a window

Also, consider whether two adjacent bedrooms one with a high level bed and one with a low, would be a worthwhile use of space. Kinda like a bunk bed but with floor between them. You then reclaim one single bed's worth of space across the two rooms which may be a useful boost if floorspace is in short supply

Have you got a trussed loft?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back