Needing to split this size double into two single rooms can this be done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a double bedroom I need to split into two. Room is currently 13' 5" x 8' 11" (4.09m x 2.72m) is this big enough to be two single rooms? There is a large window which we will replace with two smaller ones. There is no way to get a another door from the small landing so would need to make space in the room for another doorway

Sponsored Links
Assuming this is at first floor level, whilst there is no minimum size for a bedroom you are required to provide adequate ventilation which you presumably will be with an opening window with a trickle vent, the bedroom without a door directly accessible off the landing will need a window that complies with the escape window sizes necessary.

Assuming this is at first floor level, whilst there is no minimum size for a bedroom you are required to provide adequate ventilation which you presumably will be with an opening window with a trickle vent, the bedroom without a door directly accessible off the landing will need a window that complies with the escape window sizes necessary.
Yes I am planning to remove the large window and replace with two single windows. Going by the room size what size would the two new rooms be? Box rooms or singles?

As mentioned there is no minimum room size for existing houses, call them what you like, as to whether they're practical or not is another story.

Sponsored Links
a room 6ft6"x8ft11 may work with a bed if it fits in the 6ft6"
if not assuming 3ft bed will give you just over 2ft at the bed end and just under 5ft along the wall so needs great thought and planning including will doors open safely and will furniture fit in and not be more depressing than sharing

if not assuming 3ft bed will give you just over 2ft at the bed end and just under 5ft along the wall so needs great thought and planning including will doors open safely and will furniture fit in and not be more depressing than sharing
Thank you that's very helpful. Sharing is definitely out of the question but yes your right about the sizes being very small. I think my only other option is to give up my bedroom which I wouldn't mind. Or put dining table in lounge and sleep in dining room on daybed

You can always mark out the floor with some masking tape to see where the walls/door can be best located.

A friend of outs had a bedroom for one of their kids that was so small, they had to remove the skirting boards to fit a single bed in. The cupboards were all kitchen cabinet wall units. It worked. Just!

I've just seen those dimensions big-all posted, we've not long moved from a property with a kids bedroom of near enough those exact dimensions, all the houses in the whole terrace and the adjacent few roads all share an identical layout, that will definitely work as a bedroom, but it's definitely not big. We did have a normal bed in there for a good while obviously a bunk bed helps enormously. Some bunk bed designs are much better than others. What you also can't see in that photo is there was space for a Billy bookcase between the end of the bed and the wall.

bed2.jpg
bed1.jpg

what age are the people as that will affect the advice that we can give

a 4 to around 7 year old will be perfect for a high bed with desk underneath at 6 or 7 the head banging starts both at the desk and in the bunk
futons are another idea but better for older kids
duvans over framed beds have storage space and can be used as seating all round
beds with frames use up more room as the 3 or 4 inch off the ends are extra as is the side frames over the size off the mattress
other options is rather than a wall use furniture back to back that can be staggered to give best coverage as in a wardrobe back onto a table same both sides gives you a 2 wardrobe width partition graduating from the pillow end then towards the other end where a lower level perhaps 3ft from floor can give an element off separation without isolation and a general more open feel

now partitions will never ever give you the best privacy but are extremely flexible and can easily be moved say a few inches or even staggered to give the best use off space
aaannnddd once you spend money on a full wall and decorating your stuck with it for years or more upheaval an more expence
now most is not relevant now but in years to come may be worth considering :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back