Is 9' x 11' a double bedroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a dormer built and wanted to "justify" the cost (recoup the cost if we ever sell) by splitting our second bedroom into two rooms. The room after the dormer build will be 21'4" x 11'1" but due to a window the stud will have to go to one side or the other of it. Leaving the bedrooms after splitting either 14'6" x 11'1" and 6'10" x 11'1" or 11'11" x 11'1" and 9'1" x 11'1".
So my question is if I split them with the latter figures would both rooms be classed as doubles? Or would I be better going for a double and a single? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Logically a double room can be classified as such provided you can fit either a double bed or two singles in. Whether an estate agent and more importantly a prospective buyer would consider it a double is another matter. I have been round many peoples houses where they complain how small all of their bedrooms are and how they need more space yet even the smallest of of their bedrooms is larger than my largest! Its all a matter of opinion.

Hmm, a small double although I happen to know estate agents round here would advertise it as a generous double!

Sponsored Links
so may I ask; would you personally class 9'1" x 11'1" as a double?
It depends on how the room lends itself to bed orientatation & access. You may get away with it if the bed head is on the 11ft wall as it will give just give enough space to fit a wardrobe in but, IMO, you really need 12ft width for a double bed & some furniture or it’s going to feel very claustrophobic.

go for the old trick when selling
a small double bed small chest off drawers and bed side cabinet nowt else ;)

I'm having a dormer built and wanted to "justify" the cost (recoup the cost if we ever sell) by splitting our second bedroom into two rooms. The room after the dormer build will be 21'4" x 11'1" but due to a window Or would I be better going for a double and a single? :confused:
Good size double + an en suite :idea: . Billy Baratt and Charlie Church can`t be wrong ;)

I hear what your saying Nige but there's only 2 beds as it stands, one of which (the master) will be 21'4" x 11'6" incorporating an en-suite. If I did the same i'd have two beds both with en-suites and an upstairs bathroom which will then be left redundant?

You are insane my friend :confused:
Edit;
No longer relevant nonsensical post has been deleted by mods.

Depends. Years ago there were minimum standards - known as the Parker Morris Standards. If memory serves me 50sq ft is a half bed, 75 is a one bed, 90 is a one and a half bed and anything over 120 is a double. Under those standards your room is a one and a half bed. Before you ask I think a half person is anybody under 10 years old but it was THE most boring subject at uni so I might have been half asleep at the time.

The standards were dropped a long time ago for private housing but they are still used (or rather the metric equivilant) by environmental health for rented accommodation. And if you are in London I think Boris is thinking of bringing them back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back