Sound Proof Teen's Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m looking for the best way to sound-proof a teens bedroom. We have decided to make our family room smaller and create a bedroom for my 13yr old daughter. The family room is just under 20” long by 12.5 feet wide. I’ve designed the layout and has received wife approval. The bedroom will be approx. 9” x 8”, small I know, but she is happy, and just wants her own bedroom.

What would be the best way to sound-proof the stud walls? I was thinking of using Knauf Sound Panel Tapered Edge with Rockwool Sound Insulation Slab in between the studs. I’m trying to keep costs down. Is there a better alternative?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sound proof doesn't really exist, you can reduce the sound though.
What kind of sound are you concerned about, is it sounds from within the room or footsteps or other impact noise?
I'd say use as much weight in the wall as possible, ideally with double plasterboard each side fitted to independent studs. Also seal around the edges and avoid any sockets or other holes in that wall. Fill with sound deadening insulation eg rock wool.
Is the floor solid or timber? If it's suspended timber it will be hard to stop sound without taking up the floor and separating them.

The plasterboard manufacturers have proprietary systems that you can get ideas from on their website literature.

The main Tv will be close to her bedroom, just concerned that the sound from tv will hinder her from dropping off to sleep, not that she will be going to sleep early, lol. The floor will be solid. I've upload a png of the design, please note its pretty rubbish.

Sponsored Links
A little bit beyond my ken... but most thin TVs have rubbish speakers (which often project backwards). Perhaps someone like @Lucid might be able to recommend a sound bar that will (effectively) project the sound forward, and minimise the leakage backwards.

No disrespect to anyone else in this forum... but there are some members, eg @Lucid and @JobAndKnock that I often defer to and, in the majority of cases, I accept their (topic related) superior knowledge- I hasten to add that there are many other contributors that I respect, they just happened to be the first two that sprung to mind.

You are 1/2 a square metre over the minimum standard for a 10 year old in an HMO and below the standard for a new build.
Building control may have a different opinion. You will need them.

Unless you build brick walls/ high density concrete blocks there won’t be reasonable sound isolation. The door is likely your worst enemy. At least a fire door, ideally with a magnetic seal or similat

it should really have ventilation does it have a window or ventilation

You are 1/2 a square metre over the minimum standard for a 10 year old in an HMO and below the standard for a new build.
Building control may have a different opinion. You will need them.

Unless you build brick walls/ high density concrete blocks there won’t be reasonable sound isolation. The door is likely your worst enemy. At least a fire door, ideally with a magnetic seal or similat
Thanks for your advice

From a building regs point of view, you are fine as it has a window (Assuming you can get out of it) and access to other easy alternate routes out.

I would use metal studs, double plasterboard with Rockwool RWA45 or similar sound insulation. It shouldn't be full fill, it should be about or just over half, and be against 1 of the sides. The mixture of different densities is what reduces the airbourne noise. You can get acoustic sealant for around the perimeter of the plasterboard, but I've never tried it so can't rate it.

You would also need to keep the door quite tight to the floor to stop sound transmission that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back