How much would it cost to build a shed?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing shed.
I would like to replace.
Sheds are quite expensive!
How hard could it be to build your own shed?

The size I have is 3m x 4m I think.
I have the concrete base.
What else would I need?

With everything considered... How much am I looking to spend? Just looking for a ball park figure.

Is it better to buy from a place that already does sheds? Or try and buy pieces separately?

Sheds: the wood material is REALLY cheap and thin. That would be one reason for the to buy.

I'm sure the cost will be too much
But thought I would ask anyway.
I thought I had asked in another thread before, but can't find.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you build your own (and take care) it will probably be better quality than a shed from a DIY store. What it won"t be is cheaper

If you look at the various lengths of cladding you could design it so you have less waste, you might have 3.0, 3.6 and 4.2mtr lengths available so you might want to make the shed 3.6x3.6 or 3.0x4.2.

Sponsored Links
making your own shed is fantastic frustrating disappointing amazing but never cheap:D
look in skips for window units and other useful materials
find out what lengths off cladding your suppler do and plan doors and windows around the economical use
for example my wood yard where 4.2 and 4.8 so worked well with a 10x12ft shed with an off set door with minimal wastage and no joints

so a 16' x 10' shed is going to cost over £2k

example here:
https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/wooden-sheds/expert-apex-shed/26025

The biggest cost is the cladding, doors and wondows

you could buy 2nd hand upvc windows and poss door from ebay for next to nothing -or go to you local upvc company and ask them for something.

if your shed is going against a fence -clad those non seen sides in just cement rendaboard

to make your shed totally dry and weatherproof put breathable membrane around the outside of the studwork, then put 50 x 25 battens on top then the cladding -makes a huge difference.

I built a 18' x 9' shed this way and everything stays dry and condensation free inside.

The 10 x 4 lean-to shed I'm building is costing me about £600, although about £150 of that is the concrete base

If you build your own (and take care) it will probably be better quality than a shed from a DIY store. What it won"t be is cheaper

Absolutely

i don't know what mine cost, but I used fenceposts (70x70) for the corners and doorframes, clad it in 18mm ply (which I had spare) with shiplap on the front end over the top for show (also spare) and got some hardwood front doors off freegle for nothing. I used decking board for the horizontals. Ply meant it needs no braces. It is lifted off the ground on concrete pads with steel post sockets.

The membrane is really good but I didn't use it. Might line it later.

My roof was the most expensive single item.

Very much better than a bought one, unless you buy a "log cabin"

Thanks for all the replies.
I think beyond the budget I had planned of a few hundred pounds.

One idea I had was having a slanted roof instead of the usual pointed roof.
I'd get more space then.

But... I don't really want to spend that much!

Are you sure it's 3m x 4m - that's enormous!

This vid descirbes a fairly simply structure - should be enough to give you an idea of what you'd need so you can start drawing up a budget.

If you build one 8ft square or 8ft x 4ft, or so, you can clad it with 2440x1220 sheets, which is very convenient.

Less cutting, less waste, less effort, less time

Even the small size is enough for the lawn mower, bike, spades etc. You can add a canopy and trestles for outdoor work under cover, or to sit in your deckchair. Cutting large boards needs a lot of space.

Also, consider positioning it so you can extend the length when/if you want to and can afford it. Mine started out as a car port with an enclosed shed on the end. I can lift off the door, unbolt the end (one side is actually on hinges), lengthen the sides and roof, and put the end back on if I want.

@rick1632
No! It's not 3mx4m
LOL
It's just an average size shed :)
That video is awesome

I only whizzed through the vid, but by using an existing base, he has doomed himself to cutting all the boards because he is not using a size divisible by the standard. he also positioned the floor joists so they do not match board sizes. This could have been avoided.

the shed should overlap the base slightly to prevent rail falling on it and encouraging damp.

Aye - it's worth reading all the comments on most of the YouTube videos - quite often the mistakes have been pointed out

One thing I'm learning too is plan plan plan before you start buying stuff - not just what it looks like, but timescales, where you're going to store the timber while you build etc. Particularly at this time of the year when your chance of getting several dry days in a row is low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back