How often does a bath need resealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this is a "how long is a peice of string question", but I thought there is no harm in asking.

When I clean the bathroom, I always look out for mould and stuff on the sealant around the bath and shower - we had a few problems in the past with leaks in the past - and it always looks in good condition.

So how do you know when sealant needs to be replaced? Are there tell-tail signs? I would obviously like to leave it alone, but best to cath problems before they arise, right?

cheers!

Sponsored Links
Water leaks don’t specifically cause mould growth, it’s caused by trapped moisture & the presence of air born mould spores in a nice warm environment; that’s why it’s very important to get rid of it as soon as it appears & if youve already had it. If a good quality sanitary sealant was used & correctly applied, you’ve got good ventilation, there are no water traps & you “clean down” with squeegee after showering (a real PITA but very worthwhile) hopefully never but that's being very optomistic.

The only tell tale sign of mould growth is the ominous black stain appearing but you don’t need to replace the sealant at the first sign of it. There are some very good cleaners that will shift it & keep it at bay; not entirely sure I should admit to this for fear of being seen as an old tart but “Cillit Bang” seems to be particularly good when used with a toothbrush. :LOL:

If the sealant used is a good quality one in the first place and you keep it properly cleaned it shouldn't ever need resealing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back