How old do the electrics in this house look?

Looks okay.

My 2 concerns are

1. Is the Shower is fed from the RCD side of the board? It should be but I can't see a label for it. If it isn't then
- move it to a spare RCD protected way
- change the MCB circuit breaker to an RCBO one
- fit a a shower control consumer unit external to the consumer unit. Say £100 to do.

2. main equipotential bonding, can't see any connections from the main earthing terminal off to anything other than the consumer unit. Also check supplementary bonding in bathroom. Say £30 to do if at the same time as some work for (1.) and there are no nasties discovered.

Edited for clarity

Sponsored Links
I guess the ovbious question is why is the cooker mcb off ? Is it gas now?

Why is the yellow mcb off? If there is no longer a hot water tank, that is probably the correct answer.

I guess the ovbious question is why is the cooker mcb off ? Is it gas now?
Gas hob, but electric cooker. The property is empty so I guess that's why it's off. I'm seeing it again this weekend so I'll flip it and test the oven.

Why is the yellow mcb off? If there is no longer a hot water tank, that is probably the correct answer.
I'm not sure. The lable for that says "SPARS". There's no hot tank as it's a combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
Its a damn site more modern than the electrics we have, our CU would not have been out of place in 1965!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back