how old is my baxi bermuda 551 Affect on selling house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could tell me likely age range of my boiler. I want to sell our house and don't know if we should get it replaced prior to marketing it.

It has passed safety inspection every year and had some parts changed.

Sponsored Links
First manufactured, I think, '75/6. Available until mid to late 80's. This is a good solid boiler, and I wouldn't change it to sell the house. I would reserve those funds for when they try to negotiate the price. A new wall moiunted boiler plus a new fire will cost at least the best part of £3K, nore if you order a nice fireplace to go with it.

Having said that, if you lived near me, I would love to hear from you!

If it works, don't change it, you'll never get your money back.
Contrary to rumour, people do no pay more for a house with a new boiler.

all parts still avaible
not effecint but will keep going
but their is new bbu unit if just want stright swap and may be cheeper

Sponsored Links
If I were buying a house and cash was tight I'd rather have one of those than some of the 5-10 year old "efficient" boilers which can give a great deal more trouble. You have no fan, pcb, flow switches, condensate, rubber hoses, etc etc. You have a lump of cast iron, a gas valve and a thermostat. Make it a selling poiint!

Oh you have a spark clicky - they can fail, they cost several pounds!

If it works, don't change it, you'll never get your money back.
Contrary to rumour, people do no pay more for a house with a new boiler.

I would not necessarily agree!

A house sold with a new boiler with say 4 years left on the warrantee will be a definate selling point.

Not only will it have an advantage if there were two similar houses on sale but a new boiler will prevent prospective purchasors downing the purchase price.

I see the main attraction as being under warrantee for a number of years. That would be seen as one think which will not cost money for a few years in contrast to an old boiler.

Tony

I'd side with Ben on that. You know about your own boiler when you set the selling price, innit.
I'd rather have a 15year old 551 than an 8 year old Ideal Response or a 5 year old Ideal Icos.

(Really is about time you learned how to spell warranty, Tony!)

I would agree to keep it, only downside could be the firefront. Bound to be a bit fugly and outdated after all this time. Depends on the finish of the property whether it makes a difference I guess

[A house sold with a new boiler with say 4 years left on the warrantee will be a definate selling point.

Are the warranties transferable to a new owner? Gas fire ones definitely aren't.

Not only will it have an advantage if there were two similar houses on sale but a new boiler will prevent prospective purchasors downing the purchase price.

everyone tries to knock down the price - it's all part pof tyhe game. And in any case, you will have already spent £000's in a (vain attempt) to avoid being knockled down.

But MickyG does have a point about the condition of the fire.

I would advice the customer to get the boiler serviced and let the new owner replace the boiler if that is their wish..

My Baxi passed its safety inspection every year. Until one year it didn't and I had a rather cold winter.

And they are horribly inefficient and need a draughty vent in the room for combustion air.

My Baxi passed its safety inspection every year. Until one year it didn't and I had a rather cold winter.

Bad idea to get the boiler serviced when Jack Frost is knocking on the door. Get the boiler serviced in summer when you do not need heating and can (gnashing teeth) manage without hot water till problem sorted.

There were plenty modern high efficiency steamers that also packed up when mercury dipped. At least with a back boiler, immersion heater gives you hot water- with combi it is in the lap of the gods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back