How old is this consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a house at the moment and there's a query over the consumer unit. It's a Wylex NHISS10SL - photo below.

The issue is that the seller can't produce a Building Regs compliance certificate for it. He claims that it was installed prior to 1st Jan 2005, in which case there would have been no requirement to register it, but he can't produce a receipt or invoice confirming the installation date either. There's no sticker or anything on the unit itself showing the installation date.

A number of other renovations were done in the house around 2008, so I suspect the consumer unit was done at the same time and the work was never notified.

I've contacted Wylex to ask when this model of consumer unit was launched, but they haven't replied.

If anyone here is familiar with this model of consumer unit and can tell me whether (a) it was on the market prior to 01-01-2015 so could have been installed before that date, or (b) it came onto the market after 01-01-2015 and the seller is telling me fibs, I'd be really grateful for the advice.

Thanks!

Wylex NHISS10SL.jpg

Sponsored Links
There was a Wylex recall in 2010, and shortly after that they redesigned the MCBs in the style which you have.

Wylex have never got back to me regarding a query I had in 2010...

Sponsored Links
According to 'PriceLynx', the launch of the NHX range which you have was announced around November 2010.

Yea I know 2012 is after 2005

I would hope they don’t turn the house down.

Maybe the op is annoyed the seller has lied. And going to take them to task with money off

The issue is that the seller can't produce a Building Regs compliance certificate for it. He claims that it was installed prior to 1st Jan 2005, in which case there would have been no requirement to register it, but he can't produce a receipt or invoice confirming the installation date either.
As others have said/implied, it really doesn't matter a jot. Even if it were installed after 1/1/2005 without notification, the 'crime' will have been committed by a person, not the house or a subsequent owner, so it would really be of no consequence to you if you bought the house. As has also been suggested it's such a relatively trivial matter (and, in any event, the seller can claim that they have 'taken it into account' when setting the asking price) that I don't think you would get anywhere by trying to use it to get a price reduction.

As has been said, these silly issues often relate to lawyers/conveyancers wanting to make more money out of the buyer.

Kind Regards, John

Be worth getting the electrics looked at given that it has a "Water Heater" on a B6 which I suspect could be to ignite the boiler? The downstairs lighting is no doubt on the left hand MCB on the left hand RCD?

So one circuit that may or may not feed things that need labelling up.

Edited as I first looked at this and hadn't noticed the blank far left!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back