Age of installation of consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Currently in the process of buying a house and the survey picked up that it thought the consumer unit was a relatively new installation. It also advised the usual to get the electrics verified. House late 1960s.

The sellers have ticked 'no' to electrical work carried out after 1 Jan 2005, so I guess a CU change could be before (they've been in since 2003).
They seem to have done some improvements - central heating, bathroom update etc but I've seen no NICEIC certs etc thus far, so not sure quality of work and what may be DIY.
I'm going back for another viewing anyway, is there anything I can look for that will indicate the date of installation of the CU?

The other option of course is just pay for a PIR or resolve through the solicitors questions.

Sponsored Links
There could be a label on the CU, indicating the date of install. But obviously this could have never been placed or even been removed. The certs are the give away, that is if it has one and they are are not all NICEIC ;)

Sponsored Links
bear in mind it might be a new CU connected to a rats nest of original and inadequate wiring a couple of feet away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back