Replacement consumer unit necessary?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I think I'm probably familiar with a fair number of those articles, since I've frequently done similar searches, but there may well be some there which will be new for me. Watch this space!

At least someone has now offered some suggestions. I've been asking, here and elsewhere, for at least a couipleof years for 'pointers', with no particularly responses at all.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Precisely my point.
I'm confused, and can but presume that someone has not been properly reading (or understanding) what they have been responding to .....

And then there is the thorny issue of so many sparks unable to actually test type A RCDs
How would they be unsure of how to test them?
because their test kit hasn’t got the ability to test them properly
Their test equipment doesn't have an AC RCD test facility?
Do you want to edit that?
No.
Eh? - don't most/all electricians have the means of tested a Type AC RCD?
Precisely my point.

BS7671 only requires that RCDs are tested with AC at the rated residual current.
Any RCD tester would be suitable for that.

Even if using the older information and testing with a specific 'type A' test, that's not new either, manufacturers such as Wylex and MEM (now Eaton) have been selling Type A devices in the UK for 20+ years, and test equipment has been available with that option for a similar amount of time.

BS7671 only requires that RCDs are tested with AC at the rated residual current.

Even if using the older information and testing with a specific 'type A' test, that's not new either, manufacturers such as Wylex and MEM (now Eaton) have been selling Type A devices in the UK for 20+ years, and test equipment has been available with that option for a similar amount of time.

so what’s the point in testing the RCD at all then ?

might as well forget the test altogether

so what’s the point in testing the RCD at all then ?
Ask JPEL/64.

Even if testing Type A specifically (which isn't required), how many electricians working today have testing equipment so ancient that it doesn't have the option for Type A?

It does. It's interesting to see how the note in 643.8 has changed with Amd 2. Prior to the amendment (when there was no reference to Types of RCD), the note indicated the requirement that testing should confirm a disconnection time of 'within 40 ms' at a residual current of 5 x IΔn or above. Amd 2 now includes "regardless of Type" and requires a disconnection time of '300 ms maximum' with a residual current of IΔn. I wonder why they've made that change?
It would, but it seems odd that if it is felt necessary to require a Type A RCD, that BS 7671 is happy with a test which does not confirm that Type A behaviour is working satisfactorily. In other words, BS761 could 'deem' a Type A RCD to have 'passed' an RCD test even if its functioing were no better than that of a Type AC one.
Indeed so. In fact, I wonder if (m)any RCD testers or MFTs do not have the ability to test Type A RCDs to at least some extent (beyond a 'Type AC' test) Even my humble Fluke 1562 has the ability to test Types A (at least with a 'half-wave' waveform, if not other non-sinusoidal waveforms), as well as a DC test for Type Bs ....

1692025526691.png

Kind Regards, John

Ask JPEL/64. Even if testing Type A specifically (which isn't required), how many electricians working today have testing equipment so ancient that it doesn't have the option for Type A?
As I've just written, my Fluke 1562, which is not very young and is a pretty 'basic' MFT, has the ability to test Type As with a half-wave waveform - so, as you say, I imagine that many/most electricians probably have at least that degree of ability to test Type As

To what extent testing just with a 'half-wave' waveform proves very much, I'm not so sure.

Kind Regards, John

..... Type A will operate with non-sinusoidal current, which is what the majority of electrical equipment in use today creates.
..... For circuits that do have a possibility of DC current or higher frequencies, other types of RCD will be required.
In relation to the above, having just had cause (in a different thread) to remind myself about what sort of RCD testing my MFT (a Fluke 1652) can do, at least a couple of questions arise...

For testing Type A RCDs, my 1652 appears to offer just one 'non-sinusoidal' waveform, namely a 'half wave' (i.e. a half-wave rectified sine wave). That leads to the questions (more may follow).

1... A half-wave rectified sine wave has a very large DC component (since the entire waveform is on the same side of zero). In view of the above comment, does that mean that a Type A RCD is not suitable in the face of such a waveform?

2... At least partially dependent upon the answer to the first question, but is use of a half-wave rectified sine wave satisfactory/appropriate for testing a Type A RCD

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back