Replacement consumer unit necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My son is having a bathroom refurbishment, this involves removing a wall between the bathroom and a toilet to turn two rooms into one, repositioning the lights and light switches and making provision for a washing machine to be installed in the new bathroom.

The builder has told him that because his consumer unit is plastic and not metal it needs to be replaced because, if the house is sold in the near future it will need to have an up to date electrical safety certificate and the plastic consumer unit will make it fail.
Photo of the existing dual RCD consumer unit:
CU.jpg

The builder has quoted over £1000 to replace this CU. Does it need to be replaced to allow the electrical work in the bathroom to proceed or is the builder just fishing for extra work?

Paul

Sponsored Links
It does not have to be replaced just because it is plastic.

Also nothing to do with selling the property.

That was my opinion also, but does it need to be replaced to allow the bathroom work to take place? If the bathroom changes can be done, legally and compliantly, without changing the CU then my son needs to know that he has that option.

That was my opinion also, but does it need to be replaced to allow the bathroom work to take place?
I wouldn't think so.

If the bathroom changes can be done, legally and compliantly, without changing the CU then my son needs to know that he has that option.
What changes are going to be made?

He doesn't need a new CU to remove a wall.

Sponsored Links
Every circuit has an RCD protecting it. Only five circuits too not a great deal to worry about even though it's a plastic consumer unit.

when was it last tested?

Can a washing machine be safely installed in a bathroom? I suppose a lot depends on the size of the room, but this one sounds as if it's quite small.

Those RCDs are Type AC which is not permitted for any new or extended circuits.
However one or both could easily be replaced with a Type A for a fraction of the cost of a new consumer unit.

The fact it's plastic doesn't change anything.
Houses do not need any electrical certificate when being sold.
Even if one was obtained, there is no 'fail' just because it's plastic.

Those RCDs are Type AC which is not permitted for any new or extended circuits.
Certainly not compliant with current version of BS7671 if a new circuit. but, as for ...
..... any new or extended circuits
I suspect that there might be some debate about "or extended circuits".

I'd be interested to know how far you go in interpreting new regs that apply to new work (or 'new circuits' etc.) also apply to all aspects of existing circuits (or whatever) if they are extended/modified. For example, would you say that installing a new circuit in a spare way in a CU invokes the need to replace (or enclose) the CU if it is plastic?

Kind Regards, John

Certainly not compliant with current version of BS7671 if a new circuit. but, as for ...

I suspect that there might be some debate about "or extended circuits".

I'd be interested to know how far you go in interpreting new regs that apply to new work (or 'new circuits' etc.) also apply to all aspects of existing circuits (or whatever) if they are extended/modified. For example, would you say that installing a new circuit in a spare way in a CU invokes the need to replace (or enclose) the CU if it is plastic?

Kind Regards, John
If the extended/altered work has aspects where it could potentially introduce DC leakage, which could prevent the RCD from operating then it certainly would be non-compliant to leave it in situ.

If the extended/altered work has aspects where it could potentially introduce DC leakage, which could prevent the RCD from operating then it certainly would be non-compliant to leave it in situ.
Whilst that's true, it's essentially inconceivable (I would say impossible) that any work on a sockets circuit could conceivably "introduce DC leakage".

Any 'DC leakage' is entirely down to whatever is plugged into the socket outlets, and there will nearly always have been plenty of them even before 'the work' was undertaken, even if that work involves increasing the number of socket outlets.

So, yes, what you write is correct, but only if your 'IF' condition were ever satisfied - which will never happen.

£1k!! Lol.....

Tell him to do one...

How much is he over charging you for the work he is doing?

Whilst that's true, it's essentially inconceivable (I would say impossible) that any work on a sockets circuit could conceivably "introduce DC leakage".

Any 'DC leakage' is entirely down to whatever is plugged into the socket outlets, and there will nearly always have been plenty of them even before 'the work' was undertaken, even if that work involves increasing the number of socket outlets.

So, yes, what you write is correct, but only if your 'IF' condition were ever satisfied - which will never happen.
I would suggest that it's unavoidable with a socket circuit as there is no control over what load is connected via the socket-outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back