Replacement consumer unit necessary?

I would suggest that it's unavoidable with a socket circuit as there is no control over what load is connected via the socket-outlet.
Exactly my point. The 'risk' (of whatever a magnitude - I continue to fail miserably to find out!) always exists, so long as there are any sockets that things can be plugged into (and, in practice, there will already be many of them), and there is absolutely no way that the work on the circuit itself could "introduce DC leakage".

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
What is or isn’t plugged in isn’t the sparks issue.
Up to a point. It's obviously true that no-one knows, or has control over, what gates plugged in to a sockets circuit. However, a designer is expected to take account of 'likely' loads. Whilst that can never be much more than guesswork, that guess will be influenced by the location of the sockets and, in particular, the (current - although even that may change) use of the rooms (or whatever) where the sockets are located.

However, in context, and in relation to Risteard's comment, what users plug into sockets is determined by what they want to plug into sockets, not jhow many socket outlets are available to them. "What they want to plug in" is not changed by adding more socket outlets to an existing circuit, which almost always will, prior to any additions, already have a good few socket outlets. Adding sockets therefore does not materially affect the likelihood of loads with any particular characteristics being plugged in.

Kind Regards, John

Well, C3 doesn't really mean anything, does it? So does that mean you think plastic CUs are no problem, especially if under a staircase?

Funny how under the stairs became a thing with no instruction.

You never know John, the house could be on rent later. I would give a c3 to a plastic cu, especially if its under a staircase..
Surely if the house goes 'on rent later' it will need a new EICR due to the change of tenancy?

Most home owners would ignore a C3 anyway. The general way of looking at it seems to be along the lines of C1 could kill you accidentally, C2 could kill you if you make a special effort, C3 isn't going to get you.

Sponsored Links
You never know John, the house could be on rent later. I would give a c3 to a plastic cu, especially if its under a staircase..
Indeed - but a C3 has no impact on renting.

More generally I don't think one can/should go very far in terms of trying to anticipate "what may happen later" - since almost anything theoretically could 'happen', and it would be silly to try to take measures in anticipation of what "could (theoretically) happen" in the future.

Kind Regards, John

No reason for that, BS7671 110.1.2 (vii) is perfectly clear.
It may appear 'clear' at first sight, but I still thing there is plenty of scope for debate, not the least for he need (at least, in my opinion) for a modicum of common sense.

If Mr Jobsworth took that reg totally literally, and effectively assuming that any work (other than replacement of a faulty of damaged part with something essentially identical) constituted 'an alteration', invoking the need for the entire circuit (or whatever) to be compliant with the current regs. That would effectively negate the commonly-held belief that 'the regs are not retrospective'.

In context, if you believe in the application of (electrical) common sense (Mr Jobsworth doesn't, so maybe you don't, either/), then, as I've said, there is no way in which adding a socket or two to a circuit which already has many socket outlets is going to materially alter the chances of a current with DC components flowing in the circuit.
There is no interpretation. Additions and alterations to circuits need to comply with BS7671.
I am about to suggest below that, even if you don't recognise the fact, you seem to be selectively interpreting the regs. Even in the above statement, you appear to be being 'selective' (and 'reading what you want to read', even if that is not what the word of the regs says)- since 110.1.2(vii) [which was 110.1.2(vi) prior to Amd2) says nothing about 'circuits' - it talks of 'installations' and 'parts of installations' - and, as I'm about to write, I would be very surprised if Mr Jobsworth did not regard, say, the enclosure of a CU as being 'part of the installation'.

Kind Regards, John

u will find that a plastic consumer unit installed to 16th edition (10-15 years old) may look new, but actually require a few upgrades to gain a satisfactory outcome on a EICR.
"Installed to 16th ed." is a bit vague. Other than for the plastic case, about the only other possible issue relates issue is the current requirement for virtually all circuits to have RCD protection. The absence of SPD protection is not a problem if the owner of the installation agrees to that absence.

Kind Regards, John

No. An enclosure serves the same function whether it is plastic or metal. If parts are available for it, and it's in good condition, an additional circuit can be added.
As above, I think you are (albeit presumably in the name of common sense) being 'selective' in your interpretation of the regs. In another context, you are saying that an RCD needs to be upgraded to current requirements "because the installation has been altered". You now appear to be saying that one can "alter the installation" without invoking the current requirement for it no be 'non-combustible'.

On the basis of common sense, I agree totally with what you are saying here, but I don't think you are being consistent.

Kind Regards, John

With that flawed logic everyone would still be using live front switchboards and rewireable fuses.
I don't understand that analogy. I'm merely saying that users are the people who decide what loads (some of which may well creatwe non-sinusoidal currents) are plugged in, and they will already have enough socket outlets (with the help of adapters and extension cables if necessary!) to accommodate all the loads they wish to plug in. Adding one or two sockets to a circuit will therefore make absolutely no difference to anything.

If you/'they' really believe that the issue is so crucial that it should be 'compulsory that all RCDs in the UK should be at least Type A, then the only solution would be to send a 'hit squad' to ever household to forcibly upgrade all the Type AC ones. Otherwise, it seems illogical to suggest that some fairly minor 'alteration' would trigger the need for the upgrade, but that the upgrade would not be necessary in thae absence of that 'alteration'. As I keep saying, it's called 'common sense'.
The difference between Type AC and Type A is not due to 'DC leakage'.
I know, but don't blame the messenger - I've merely been responding to the person who introduced that term
Type A will operate with non-sinusoidal current, which is what the majority of electrical equipment in use today creates.
Up to a point. As I keep saying, I have yet to gain much of an understanding of the behaviour or any of these 'Types' of RCD
Type AC were designed for sinusoidal current waveforms. Their operation with other waveforms is undefined and mostly unknown.
So it seems, although I can't believe that there is as little information available as I have so far been able to find. I would suggest that, since it's crucial to this whole debate, it's about time that some decent attempts were made (and the results made available) to address the fact that the behaviour of Type AC RCDs with non-sinusoidal currents is "undefined and mostly unknown".

Of course, "non-sinusoidal" (which could mean anything, other than sinusoidal) is so vague that a general answer will never be possible, and exactly the same is true of Type A ones (or anyother Type). The best one could possibly hope for would be information on how Type AC, and Type A, behave with various shapes of 'non-sinusoidal' waveforms - not the least because we could then actually compare those two behaviours, at least in the context of some waveforms.

Kind Regards, John

Oh that's OK as a new rental requires a new EICR so it will be found when that arises. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back