Consumer unit replaced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had some building work done and the builder arranged various electrical contractors to do some work.

one of the contractors said we did not have enough space in the Consumer unit so it would need a replacement. I was happy with this and they replaced the CU, however I had recently installed 8 rcd/mcbs in the old unit and they did not leave the old CU or rcd/mcb blocks!

Does anyone think this is reasonable, they were only 6 months old and cost around £8 each. I now have a bill for £300 for the new consumer unit which only added 2 extra connection points.

appreciate any comments

Sponsored Links
At around £8 each they were proberly just mcb's and a good chance they were the wylex plug in type.
Like this

As these old wylex boards are not really suitable for updating, as they do not take rcbo's and the load rating of some of the boards can barely take a cooker and shower.
The old mcb's you had would not be worth a great deal.

If they were any good they could have brought a bigger version of the same board and reused them.

they did not leave the old CU or rcd/mcb blocks!

Did you ask them to leave them? If not, then why assume that they would? They probably thought they were doing you a favour by clearing up after themselves.

Sponsored Links
If it was a wylex board with plug in MCBs, then they probably binned the old MCBs, just as I would have done, unless you specifically asked otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back