Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how old coud this arrangement be?

100_9441.jpg

Sponsored Links
60's or early 70's

EDIT: Sorry rubber there as well so could be even earlier

the grey wire looks new to me but it goes in the black box which is connected to a rubber wire.

How old are those types of black boxes?

Is it a case of cut and shut?

The junction box is the right style for late 60s / 70s.

The grey cable looks to be heading on for 40 years old to me.

It looks like plastic twin with no CPC.

Sponsored Links
Circuit Protective Conductor (sometimes wrongly referred to as an earth wire)

The bare connecter blocks was quite common for low volt tran connections till mole boxes came out.
Still see it now where they just cut the earth off.

The first jb looks like 2ba bolt as well more common before the change to 4mm 60/70

is there a bs number on the j/b sometimes you can date it by that.

If the cable is plastic & has no cpc, I would date it 1961-1966 ish.

A lot of new earthing regs were introduced in the 14th, pub. 01/10/66.

Does anyone have the 13th?

I'm interested to see whether the introduction of MEB coincided with the introduction of PME systems.

consumer done over";p="810902 said:
The bare connecter blocks was quite common for low volt tran connections till mole boxes came out.

NOT saying it was right, in pubs and shops, this is often found where people too lazy to fit j/b, with the mole box it seems to have less common recently.

Not sure but was it not the 16th regs that said all conneections had to be enclosed

That looks 90s though, other stuff 60 70s

Probably before 1966 - the twin cable was 3/029, which was usually manufactured without an earth conductor, as it was exclusively used in lighting circuits, which never needed an earth until 1966. The cores of the cable will be three tinned copper strands each of 0.029 inches in diameter - any older spark will confirm this fact. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Probably before 1966 - the twin cable was 3/029, which was usually manufactured without an earth conductor, as it was exclusively used in lighting circuits, which never needed an earth until 1966. The cores of the cable will be three tinned copper strands each of 0.029 inches in diameter - any older spark will confirm this fact. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

there is a lot of grey cable connected to these connector boxes.

I thought grey cable was fairly recent but you guys tell me it can be old.

I've also discovered a ligther grey BICC cable. Even with this one i've no clue how old it could be, no date on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back