How on earth does this tap come apart?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Been trying for days to find a way of getting this apart to fix a drip but can't see how to get it apart. The domed cover does unscrew but only as far as the ball on the shaft. The white handle does unscrew but there's nothing behind it. There's also nothing under the blue dot on the top apart from the cavity for the handle thread. Totally foxed. Any ideas gratefully received! Pics attached.

Attachments

• 20200903_083020.jpg
    20200903_083020.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 20200903_083039.jpg
    20200903_083039.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG-20200901-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20200901-WA0009.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
There MIGHT be a screw (Allen or Torx) hidden in the body where the handle unscrewed from.

Thanks for the reply but I've been over every mm of the thing and there's no grub screws, allen nuts, torx heads or anything anywhere!

Thanks for the reply but I've been over every mm of the thing and there's no grub screws, allen nuts, torx heads or anything anywhere!
Is the handle threaded right to the end? If not could it locate into a recess or could the section stopping the shroud unscrew or be pushed on?

Sponsored Links
Does that domed cap on top come off? There may be a hole under there that will allow you to get a screwdriver in, past the threaded handle section to a screw holding the chrome shaft onto the tap spindle?

Thanks for the replies. The domed cap is cast as one peice with the shaft and there's nothing in the cavity where the handle thread is. The only other way I can imagine is that it all comes out from below. Could that be an option?

Nope
If it was cast as one piece then how did they get the shroud on? What was under the blue indice?

Nothing under the blue dot, just the cast ball. The only possible thing I can think of apart from it coming apart from below is that you need an extremely thin spanner to get at the nut when you hold up the shroud, as shown in the 3rd pic. That spanner would have to be made of unobtanium though to be strong enough though at the thickness available...

If you are certain there are no screws then I'd look at the ball unscrewing

I'm beginning to think that can be the only way. I'll try and find a shutoff valve first just in case...

Pour a kettle of boiling water over it and use rubber gloves with dimples on the fingers for extra grip.

So, it’s the screw down caps that stop the handle coming off. Of course! :whistle:

54E46998-97BE-4539-80D0-AFAEB4DA59BD.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back