Can't take basin tap apart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tap is becoming stiff to turn. It was fitted some years ago and I've not needed to get into it before. Unfortunately I have no note of the make. I want to clean it before it gets worse but am unsure how to take it apart.

1/ I assume there is a screw under the 'C' which allows me to remove the handle. Do I just have to use something thin and sharp to prise out this central disk in the handle? It's not showing signs of moving at the moment! There are no other grub screws visible, or places that might hide one.
tap top.jpg

2/ I assume the cover over the mechanism unscrews but it hasn't budged yet. Is there any chance that it just lifts up ie not screwed?
tap side.jpg

Advice appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Usually just pops out with a small screwdriver, try pouring hot water over it to expand the metal that might help.

Sorted. I found I just needed to 'pursuade' it hard enough, using a v.thin screwdriver like footprints said.
Here is what it looked like in case anyone else has a similar tap ..
upload_2017-10-12_16-8-10.png

TIP: to unscrew that chromium-plated sleeve covering the tap internals I first wrapped a few layers of duct tape around it. That provided better grip than the polished chromium.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-12_16-7-9.png
    upload_2017-10-12_16-7-9.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 90

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back