How Does This Tap Come Apart?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaky tap which I need to fix. Anyone know how it comes apart? I'm assuming that the uppermost part unscrews but that seems silly as it's impossible to grip. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The top dome part will unscrew and there should be a screw underneath that holds the other part of the tap onto the cartridge.

I was afraid that would be the answer! Thanks for the reply. What a silly design, what is wrong with these people! Any tips on how to unscrew the thing, been trying for a while, just can't seem to get a grip on it, even tried gripper gloves. No special tools I can buy? Before I reach for the angle grinder.

Those taps must be a nightmare to actually use with wet hands. Have you considered changing them anyway?!

Sponsored Links
The turning of them is really light, and they do not pressure tighten like a standard tap. Why do they make these things so difficult to maintain though. Just had another go, can't get it off. What would you guys do if called out to a job like this?

Pump pliers, plenty of cushioning and protection to prevent scratching and a bit if brute force and ignorance.

Failing that, remove the tap as a whole and it may be easier to work on.

Sometimes you just have to go for it.

Why do they make these things so difficult to maintain though. Just had another go, can't get it off. What would you guys do if called out to a job like this?
Because people who buy taps prefer form over function...No one buys a tap wondering how it will be maintained..

As CorgiG has said, form over Function....

Back in the days of 'proper' apprenticeships, one task before installing a pair (taps came as pairs back then ) was to 'break' the tap, ready for the day to day maintenance guys who would follow up in say 5 years time to repack the stem gland or re-washer them. As they are assembled in factory using air tools etc to put them together, doing this prior to installation minimises ri
sk of damage to a)the taps b) The sanitaryware they fitted into.

The Trade has gone to Dogs I tell you. NOA

DH

I'd try electrical insulation tape around the cap to protect the chrome and then pump pliers

Or does the whole head just pull off. Some taps with smooth ceramic heads do that.

Trust me, I did one recently and spent a good 2 minutes head scratching...

The top part of the head unscrews from the bottom part, but as said earlier, take care not to scratch the chrome.

The trick is to get a grip on the "domed" part,(above the detailed part), and hold the under piece.

The domed part is attached via a very fine thread ;)

I have seen this tap today! The trick is mate ur turning it the wrong way, hold the tap, then get rubber gloves and turn the domed top clockwise :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back