How Open Are Planning Officers To Negotiation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from the planning issues we are facing, I am keen to get them resolved, but am unwilling to be bullied into a one-sided battle. So, I am toying with the idea of setting a meeting with the enforcement officer and a more senior planning officer (not our existing planning officer) to discuss how best to resolve our situation so that the planners can 'clean their books' and it doesn't cost us the earth in the process.

At the moment, they have stated that a new application for a new build is required. Is there any scope in being able to barter with them for a material amendment, or the like? Or would proposing such a meeting be futile as they would merely repeat their policies and refuse to budge from their current demands?

Sponsored Links
Not been there. But futility is my guess. They have to be seen to be being transparent. That means sticking to the policy.

From my experience, if the junior planning officer has declared that black is white, his line manager will back him up

But if you need to appeal any Notice in the future, it might help your case if you can say you tried to negotiate and compromise.

In my experience, planning officers are open to negotiation, but your arguments have to be sound, and they are much more likely to listen to a fellow design professional. You may find it is worthwhile employing an architect or planning consultant to negotiate on your behalf.

Sponsored Links
In my experience, planning officers are open to negotiation,

Congratulations!!

You must have met the one-in-a-hundred (either that, or you don't operate near Manchester) lol:

Thanks Tony. I have actually met many planning officers who are open to negotiation, but I haven't done many projects in the Manchester area !
This is one of the few instances where in my experience it really helps to have letters after your name, in this instance RIBA or RTPI. Planning officers do tend to respect others who have design qualifications, and if you do have a reasoned design argument, it can be difficult for them to disagree.

There you go tony that's where the rest of us are all going wrong we haven't got any letters after our name! Jeez! :LOL: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back