How paint up to glass bedded in with silicon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just had single glazing replaced with double in a wooden door which has been stripped back to bare wood. The units have been bedded in with silicon, such that the gap between the glass and rebate is filled with the stuff (where previously the original putty had been).

I now need to paint the door but wonder how best to proceed. If putty had been used I would mask up and paint to the glass, but in this case it would involve painting the silicon, which obviously won't work.

Any good ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
I did consider this, but I was put off by the fact that the silicon isn't uniform from the edge of the rebate to the glass (cos of the rebate not being even), and the silicon itself being clear rather than white. That being the case I would end up with a not straight boundary between paint and clear silicon which might look a bit rubbish. Would up load a pic to help clarify, but can't for the life in me work out how to!

I have experienced similar with badly done unpaintable silicone round windows - where you just can't make it look good. I think I trimmed up some of the excess sealant, and painted round it and that was that.

Maybe some can advise on special paints that CAN be used on unpaintable surfaces, if there is such a suitable product.

Or perhaps the silicone can be replaced?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I've just had single glazing replaced with double in a wooden door which has been stripped back to bare wood. The units have been bedded in with silicon, such that the gap between the glass and rebate is filled with the stuff (where previously the original putty had been).

I now need to paint the door but wonder how best to proceed. If putty had been used I would mask up and paint to the glass, but in this case it would involve painting the silicon, which obviously won't work.

Any good ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

Hard to visualise exactly what this looks like. What is covering the taped edge, and is the silver spacer visible?

Is the glazing still recessed into the door? If so, can you trim the silicone and fit a wooden bead in there?

Or is the glazing flush with surface of the door? If so, can you fit a wooden bead over the top, covering the edge of the window.

Cheers
Richard

Managed to upload a pic, hopefully making things clearer. I think this shows the problem. Frame, then silicon, then glass. Beading might be the way to go - extra effort in the short term, and possibly a little more bulk round the frame, but perhaps better than the alternative of clear unpainted silicon, or painted and then flaky silicon?

Bit of a lousy way to leave things for you. As said, beading or L shaped angle wood may help. :confused:

Is this inside or out?

If outside, you need to be careful you don't create a 'trap' for rain water to collect in. :confused:

Or, paint that edge of wood in the same grey colour. :confused:

EDIT, it's clear isn't it?! Forget that then...

I think the way to go is get them back and replace with something paintable. :D

This is outside, but the door is under a canopy so doesn't get wet, therefore no rot risk if I bead.

If I go back to them not sure what my complaint is nor what they could do other than bead as discussed.

Your complaint is the sealant isn't perfectly parallel, and you can't paint up to it neatly.

And it's presumably not paintable so it can't blend in.

Whether they can rake it all out and do it again, or SUCCESSFULLY go over it.

Use an oil based paint, thin it 50/50 and use that as a cover coat. Will depend on the type of silicon, and will only work with oil based paint.

Might not last very long either. I would dig it out (you say it does not get wet) and use decorators caulk which you can paint over.

Thanks for the advice gents. Will contact them and see what they can advise, hopefully something sensible that will look good in the end. Fingers crossed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back