How should I use an oil stone to sharpen plane blades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone give me some advice on sharpening plane blades on an oil stone as I'm not having much luck getting them sharp so I don't know if its my technique or the oil stone is the problem.
I want to sharpen without a secondary bevel so if regrind the primary bevel on the course side it creates a burr on the back of the plane blade so do I need to remove the burr before moving on to the fine side.
If I remove the burr from the course stone then move on to the fine side it creates a fine burr but how should I remove the burr so I have a sharp blade.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
harlow, good evening.

Your question takes me back several decades?

What I did and was advised to do was??

I do not really advise the following OK I did it, it works but in today's Health and Safety environment.

We used to "Slap" the plane blade against the open palm of your hand, the trick is to slap the blade in a rolling fashion do not dig a sharp blade into your hand???

You would really benefit from a visual image rather than a narrative description??

The above method does remove the large and small burrs

I have watched my son use a Stropp the type used by Barbers to sharpen a cut throat Razor, the Stropp does remove burrs [Safely] and also appears to "Enhance" the cutting edge of metal blades either plane blades or indeed chisels, he also used the Stropp frequently to keep especially chisel blades sharp??

All I will say is please be careful slapping a sharpened lump of steel on to your open palm ???

Ken.

I get my plane blade professionally ground and keep it sharp using a diamond stone or an old Norton India oilstone (the oil stones sold now don't seem effective).

A newly sharpened blade only needs a few strokes to stay sharp in use, the mistake is to blunt it through over sharpening (easy to do when trying to replicate the youtube gurus). Removing the wire edge completes the process but only if the bevel is true and correctly ground in the first place.

Blup.

I get my plane blade professionally ground and keep it sharp using a diamond stone or an old Norton India oilstone (the oil stones sold now don't seem effective).

A newly sharpened blade only needs a few strokes to stay sharp in use, the mistake is to blunt it through over sharpening (easy to do when trying to replicate the youtube gurus). Removing the wire edge completes the process but only if the bevel is true and correctly ground in the first place.

Blup.
How would you remove the burr using the Norton India oilstone.

The burr forms a wire edge on the underside tip of the bevel. Lay the blade flat (bevel up) on the stone and draw it towards you several times and the burr should disappear and the edge then finds its sharpness

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back