How the hell am I going to do this?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

I have a fitted wardrobe as you can see.

I want to fit 2 x MDF doors from floor to ceiling for each side.

The way the wardrobe is made means I can't fit hinges inside the frame (like kitchen cabinet hinges).

But I can fit flush hinges on the outside edge of the frame (this is how the old bi-folding doors were fitted).

There are already holes on the wardrobe frame where the old flush hinges were. I assume I can use these to first fit new flush hinges.

But because these new MDF doors are incredibly heavy, I can't hold them in place and mark where the hinges should go, so I'll have to measure where the hinges are on the frame then transfer these measurements to the doors.

But the odd millimetre out and the doors won't be straight. And because they're supposed to meet in the middle when closed they'll look awful if not completely straight or they wont close at all.

1. Is there such a thing as a flush hinge I can fit to the outside of the frame, then 'hang' the door on, then tighten and tweak the hinges to adjust the door? In other words, just like kitchen cabinet hinges, but to fit outside the frame?

2. I'd also like push to open fittings (like Ikea cabinets have). Are there such fittings strong enough to push open a huge floor to ceiling MDF door?

Any help welcome

:D :D

Sponsored Links
The way the wardrobe is made means I can't fit hinges inside the frame (like kitchen cabinet hinges).

But I can fit flush hinges on the outside edge of the frame (this is how the old bi-folding doors were fitted).

There are already holes on the wardrobe frame where the old flush hinges were. I assume I can use these to first fit new flush hinges.
If your frames are 40mm wide there is one type of hinge with some adjustment, these. Other than that you're possibly into this type of hinge

But because these new MDF doors are incredibly heavy, I can't hold them in place and mark where the hinges should go, so I'll have to measure where the hinges are on the frame then transfer these measurements to the doors.
Wrong! Don't measure, transfer.... Mark where your hinges are going on the frame. Then cut a piece of straight 2 x 1in PAR softwood the same length as your doors and offer this up to the frame where you want it to go - ensure that your overhangs at top and bottom are correct. Transfer the hinge positions accurately onto the 2 x 1 PAR (the correct technical name for this is a "rod"). The positions can then be directly transferred onto the doors from the rod. A piece of 2 x 1 PAR weighs much less than a door........

This system of using a rod to transfer positions, lengths, etc works - joiners and carpenters have been using it for hundreds of years

I, personally don't know of any hinges, other than kitchen hinges, which have multiple adjustments - we joiners are just expected to get it right.....

Again, I've used touch latches on smaller units, but never on wardrobe doors. I'd imagine the best place to install them would be smack bang in the middle of the door - where you' expect the "operator" to push them

Good luck with your project

Thanks for the help.

I cant really use those first hinges you mention as it means drilling largeish holes in the door for them. I'm tried this many times while fitting kitchen doors and it's very difficult to get them accurate with just a hand held drill.

I like your idea of using a rod. I assume providing the hinges are in a perfectly straight line from floor to ceiling on the wardrobe frame, the door will be straight once fitted.

perhaps if you do this as 4 doors then they will fit inside the frames?

Sponsored Links
You could use piano hinges, they offer great strength to support weight and simply line up on cup's edges [ you need to mark parrallel lines verticall to guide as it's likely the existing frame is not completely square and true.] I would fit 4 doors as suggested, reduces space to open [and weight] by half.

4 doors isn't possible as i've already ordered the full length mirrors to go on just 2 doors.

Ah, piano hinges look like they might solve a lot of problems.

4 doors isn't possible as i've already ordered the full length mirrors to go on just 2 doors.

Ah, piano hinges look like they might solve a lot of problems.

I cant really use those first hinges you mention as it means drilling largeish holes in the door for them. I'm tried this many times while fitting kitchen doors and it's very difficult to get them accurate with just a hand held drill.
Unfortunately you simply can't drill for 35mm kitchen hinges with a hand drill alone. You either need a drill press fitted with a 35mm hinge bit and a false table with a back fence so that the hinge holes are always in alignment or you need a plunge router with a 35mm router bit and a side fence. Both those methods allow absolute control over the depth of cut which is critical to avoid drilling through the door or drilling too shallow.

You could use piano hinges, they offer great strength to support weight and simply line up on cup's edges
Won't the OP also need to get some classic (low profile) screws as well? The "normal" screws you buy tend to cause the hinges to bind IMHO. I agree with your suggestion about 4 doors being better than two. Makes sense

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back