How thin can concealed frame/cistern for wall hung toilet be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

We are redoing our bathroom and want to put in a wall hung toilet. The bathroom is already relatively small and we want to make the frame and concealed cistern as thin as possible so the boxing in isn't too deep. It's against an external wall of the house so can be attached directly to the brickwork which should make it more stable than a stud wall. I have found a couple of slim concealed frame/cisterns which should hopefully mean we only need a boxing in of around 10cm including the tiles:

http://www.ergonomicdesigns.co.uk/1...html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic
http://www.livinghouse.co.uk/acatalog/Super_Slim_In_Wall__Cistern_Kit_for_Bathrooms.html

We are most likely looking at one of the following toilets or a similar Duravit one, presumably all toilets have the soil pipe and water inlet in the same position so this toilet would work with these frames?

http://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/24485.htm

I wanted to see if anyone had any views of these slim frames and whether they would be sturdy enough (I assume the Geberit one will be as they're a good brand) and the flush volume/flow would be the same as a normal cistern or less? The intention would be to have this and tile in front of it with access to the cistern through the flush plate and also from a removable shelf above. I would be very grateful to hear peoples opinions on these and whether there are any particular positives/negatives or any good slim alternatives?

Thanks so much,

Dave

Sponsored Links
If money is not tight and the bathroom is on the first floor (loft immediately above) how about fitting the cistern in the loft and fitting a remote flush sensor?
Something like http://www.thomasdudley.co.uk/electroflo.asp, just extend the wiring. Obviously you'll need to conceal the flushpipe and wiring from ceiling to pan somehow.

If money is not tight and the bathroom is on the first floor (loft immediately above) how about fitting the cistern in the loft and fitting a remote flush sensor?
Something like http://www.thomasdudley.co.uk/electroflo.asp, just extend the wiring. Obviously you'll need to conceal the flushpipe and wiring from ceiling to pan somehow.

Thanks very much for your reply charnwood, that looks interesting i've never seen one of those before! The only thing i'm wondering is we will still need a frame to hang the wall hung WC on which means we are presumably still going to need about 10cm to fit this in which means that we won't actually save any space between the frame/cistern kits i linked to and the electroflow. If this is true it feels like then normal cistern/frames might be more reliable in the long term (something about having an electric sensor to flush the toilet worries me!) Assuming i'm right about needing a similar depth then is there any particular benefit of the frame/cisterns over the electroflo or vice versa?

Thanks so much,

Dave

You can get taps, urinal controls and flush controls, all with electronic sensors. I've seen no reports of fatalities.......yet ;)

I think most off the shelf frames are around 200mm deep, so a Heath Robinson approach may be needed.

Sponsored Links
You can get taps, urinal controls and flush controls, all with electronic sensors. I've seen no reports of fatalities.......yet ;)

I think most off the shelf frames are around 200mm deep, so a Heath Robinson approach may be needed.

Hi Charnwood, the two i linked to above are 8cm and 9cm deep respectively so these should allow us to have about a 10cm boxing in. Would you say there's any reason to use the electroflo over these slim frames, i'm not bothered about a button push vs a IR sensor? Do you (or anyone else) have any feedback on either of the frames above and how good/bad they are and how good the flush is?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the two systems linked in the other posts I can tell you though that the geberit frame and cistern require a minimum depth of about 135mm give or take a couple of mil. We use nothing but the geberit system for this kind of job and they're bullet proof, if you do get a problem with any component of the cistern all the parts are easy to access and replace through the flush plate, and readily available.

You can install the geberit frame into the cavity of your outside wall if you like which means no boxing at all.

To be honest there looks like there's more to go wrong with the other systems you're looking at. I would recommend the geberit every day of the week.

Regards
BathClick

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the two systems linked in the other posts I can tell you though that the geberit frame and cistern require a minimum depth of about 135mm give or take a couple of mil. We use nothing but the geberit system for this kind of job and they're bullet proof, if you do get a problem with any component of the cistern all the parts are easy to access and replace through the flush plate, and readily available.

You can install the geberit frame into the cavity of your outside wall if you like which means no boxing at all.

To be honest there looks like there's more to go wrong with the other systems you're looking at. I would recommend the geberit every day of the week.

Regards
BathClick

Hi Bathclick, thanks very much for your comments. When you say it needs about 135mm is that including the boxing in/tiles etc or are you saying it needs that gap because the measurements state it's 8cm from the external wall to the front (excluding tiles/ply etc)?

I am very interested in the possibility of installing the geberit into the cavity wall of the house, i just didn't realise this was possible retrospectively, i thought it could only be done for new builds? Does this mean it's possible to embed it into the wall and avoid any boxing in? Is this a difficult thing to do and would it not require some kind of lintel to support the opening? FYI the toilet frame would be sitting underneath an existing window so i suppose there's already a lintel above that. If this were possible then it might be a good option although the boxing in would certainly hide some other pipework so it's not really an issue, i just really want to get it to 10cm or less if at all possible.

Thanks so much,

Dave

Hi Dave,
I'm exactly where you were last May. Any advice? What did you go with in the end and are you happy with it?

Helen

Hi Dave,
I'm exactly where you were last May. Any advice? What did you go with in the end and are you happy with it?

Helen

Hi Helen,

I'm afraid my join date was last May but this thread was only started last month so i'm still debating the best way to go (although we are probably putting the toilet in a different place against a new stud wall so it's not quite such an issue for us as it was). I would love to hear what you end up going for/are considering though if you get round to it before us!

Cheers,

Dave

I put it down to the cold I've got and day spent searching for cisterns and frames. Sorry Dave!

I think we'll settle on the Geberit maybe. I can settle for the 135mm from the wall and my head is spinning with trying to reconcile all the different things I want from. the cistern and the frame and the space. And that's before I even start dealing with the fact that most of the flush plates aren't to my liking. I know, I know! Totally girly but what can I do? I can't do the usual approach of choosing by colour now can I!

Helen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back